Sunday, September 15, 2013

wake me up when september ends.


So, September came and so did all the crazy. Dissertation is up in full swing, job applications are piling up, a half marathon is being trained for, school is being attended, homework forgotten, and soccer practice loved. I don't know how things picked up so fast, but they sure did.

Chris's dissertation proposal is at the end of  October (I told him to wear a Halloween costume but apparently that's not professional. whatevs), meaning a lot of writing and approval has to happen before that. He has also begun applying for jobs. We have a lovely poster board hanging on our kitchen wall, and when the application gets finished, he gets a sticker (you think I'm joking . . . ). It is a stressful thing. We stay up too many night studying up on cities facts, research interests, church presence, and temple proximity. It is a hard balance between being too picky and not picky enough. The applications take a lot of time. But the jobs don't come out all at once. Pass on applying for this job and hope for a better one? We're at 4 now. Who knows how many we'll end up with. We are praying for a lot of interest, and a lot of options. This is our first rodeo, and we have no idea how to hold on to the bull.

I've been training for a half marathon for approximately 17 years, I swear. Its a long story, and I'll tell it some day because I know you are sitting on the edge of your seats to hear it. But I love it and I hate it and I can't wait for the race even though I'm going to puke from nerves and I'll be so sad when its all over. It has 1) taken up way more time than I expected, b) been way more emotional and mental than I expected, and c) been more fulfilling than I expected. But what is life if not spent working toward a goal once thought unreachable?

Carly is amazing and totally insane. Chris says she gets it from her mother. She seems to be doing great is school. Her first ever "homework" assignment was to turn a blank paper human shape into "Carly". I totally forgot about it until bathtime the night before it was due. #numberonemom So we did it instead of bedtime stories. We glued buttons for the eyes and yarn for the hair and she painted a rainbow dress. Paper Carly was adorable. Real Carly didn't want to turn her in, and neither did real mommy. Carly also really loves soccer. She is way more excited about it than school as this point. But school is harder, and mom isn't there cheering her on. I love love love watching her. But I love our "off days", our M/W/F with no school and no soccer where things are like they used to be. She's not all the way grown up yet and I'm sure grateful for that. She is the so great.

Quinn is the best human ever created. And I know I'm biased, but at the same time we've created 3 and Quinn really is the best. She is so funny. She is becoming quite the little mischievous bully, and you'd never guess it because she has the sweetest smile and voice ever in the history of forever. The other day I watched her: sitting next to John, she slowing moved her hand toward his ear, and pulled on it. He swatted it away. Repeat over and over until John freaked and screamed like "Leave my ear alone!" And Q was smiling and laughing like it was hilarious. Because it was it was so dang hilarious. She makes the best "oink" ever and her hair grows straight down into her eyes so she looks at you from under it, or blows it up with her mouth. She loves her blankie and sleeps with a little Book of Mormon on occasion. And if I had one wish it would be that Q stay exactly how she is right now forever.

John is a mess of a human being. He likes sticks and balls and getting dirty and screaming all the dang time. The other day the girls were having a tea party and Q was there in her tutu and carrying a purse and John came up and threw a soccer ball on the table, knocking all the dishes. That sums up John. He is a punk and all boy and so dang cute you want to bite his head off. He says "bye bye" and "night night" and waves when he is tired. And he LOVES Carly's soccer about as much as she does. He follows the big kids around, dribbling and doing throw-ins and sitting in the huddle. The coach is good about it, because I can't keep him away. It is insanely cute. But if you do anything, one single thing, he doesn't approve of, he screams like you chopped his hand off. He cray cray.

Fall is hands down the best time to be in Michigan. There are apples to be picked, pumpkins to be chosen, leaves to be admired, cider to be guzzled. My heart is aching that it is our final Fall in this beautiful place. I want time to slow down, and late September and October last forever.

Love this beautiful mess we're living.
xoxo.

1 comment:

Haley said...

You probably don't remember me from the Roman Gardens days, but I just have to say I adore your blog. Your family is beautiful and you are such a REAL person (and that is rare in the blogging world). Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I always enjoy your cute, honest, grateful posts.