Thursday, January 2, 2014

the Evergreen State.


Our favorite Christmas gift this year came on December 19, when Chris accepted a job offer as a professor at Washington State University. My heart is full and my mind is still reeling from the flurry of events, not to mention the years of preparation, that led to this point.

Chris applied to 6 jobs this fall, with intentions of applying to more when they came out after the holiday break. The jobs were all over: Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, and Utah. When the Washington State job was posted, my heart skipped a beat. The Pacific Northwest has been on our radar from early on in our marriage, and we searched there for Masters and PhD degrees. Some of our best Michigan friends moved home to Oregon last year, and we joked how we'd get a job at Washington State and come out to join them. A year later, there was the job. I couldn't believe it, but I did my best to remain neutral. We'd go wherever we were supposed to go. Chris applied in early October. He had a phone interview just before Halloween, was flown out for a few intense days in Pullman just after Thanksgiving, and was offered the job just before Christmas. The offer came on a Tuesday, they negotiated terms on Wednesday, and he accepted on Thursday. Washington State was so great and up front about how they wanted their guy and they wanted him fast. I'm so glad my guy was their guy.

I am still a little bit in shock. I still feel like it might not be real. We have a history of getting what we need rather than what we "want". Chris got into BYU, Utah, and Tennessee for his Masters degree. I wanted to stay in the west, but it took one trip to the temple to know Tennessee was our next step. When PhD time came around, Chris got into Utah. I wanted it. I wanted it so bad. Two years in a foreign place that never really felt like home (despite all the wonderful people we met) and a new baby made me want it. But as I prayed one night, I heard the most distinct voice in my head, "Who are you kidding. You are moving to Michigan." And we did just that. Tennessee felt like such a random place, but Chris's adviser there was wonderful, and it was her that led us to Michigan State and to Chris's current adviser, who has opened so many doors for Chris and given him the experience that made the job at Washington State, a Pac 12 school, possible. Sometimes its hard to see the Lord's hand in your life. In this situation, as we look back with 20/20 hindsight, it is abundantly clear.

Job application time came and I was sure we were going to end up in some crazy place, and I was at peace with that. During the entire process with Washington State I was neutral. We are talking Switzerland, people. Chris kept asking me if I even wanted him to get the job. I was just trying to avoid heartbreak. He was offered and accepted the job and it felt so surreal. I kept questioning it, worrying about it. Then one morning it occurred to me that I was being like Carly and Santa. Carly kept questioning Santa, being overly concerned and thinking too hard. I finally told her not to worry about it and just be thankful he is bringing her presents. I think if the Lord was imperfect, He probably would have been thinking that I needed to stop worrying about it, and just be grateful. He is giving us exactly what we asked for. So now I am.

Chris has worked incredibly hard over the years. He does so much, more than I can understand, and he comes home to a wife and three exhausting kids at the end of the day. I could not be more proud of him. It really is the perfect job in the perfect place. It is a small program, looking to grow. They are willing to fund and support that growth, and they want Chris to be the architect. It is an exciting opportunity for him. Pullman is a small town, but we don't mind that. It seems like a wonderful place to raise a family and has great schools. My aunt and uncle live there with their twins the same age as ours. My mom's side of the family is two hours away. Chris's cousin plays volleyball for Idaho, 10 minutes away. The area is beautiful. The Pacific is not too far. And my parents are 8 hours away. In a car. That's it. It takes living across the country for 6 years and many miserable flights to feel like 8 hours in a car is close. Funny how your perspective changes.

Not to say it is all sunshine and roses (speaking of roses, how about them Spartans!?). We have to leave this beautiful place, and it already hurts thinking about it. Luckily we got a job about 3 months sooner than we expected we would, so we have a lot of time to make plans and bid farewell to the Lady of the Lake and all the people we love here. One perk: a majority of our friends are leaving this summer too, our school journeys all coming to an end. We have also loved being so close to Chris's parents, and they have been an incredible blessing to us. Our kids love them, and his mom has really saved our necks a few times when I had the twins unexpectedly a month early and when I ended up in the hospital last year. It will be hard to leave them. It will also be hard to move away from the Chicago area, where Chris's grandma and extended family live, and where we have enjoyed many 4th of Julys and Christmas celebrations. The hard thing about an Idaho girl marrying an Indiana boy is that we'll always be far away from someone.

Among the many feelings we've had the last few weeks is a due amount of stress. Suddenly there is a move to plan, a home to find, details to iron out. And first and foremost, a dissertation to complete. It all hinges on that.  A good thing stemming from getting a job so early is that now Chris can focus 100% on his dissertation. No applications or interviews taking up his time and energy. A wonderful bonus blessing.

But mostly we feel joy and gratitude. Over Christmas I tried not to think too much, but just enjoy. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the long train ride we've been on suddenly makes a lot of sense. We look forward to the blessings, changes, and adventures that lie ahead in 2014. Our cup runneth over.

Go Cougs.

7 comments:

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

Congratulations!!! We lived in Moscow for 2 years and loved it. It's a beautiful area full of wonderful people. You guys are gonna love it!

L said...

I am so happy for y'all. I understand completely. I feel about Arizona the same way you feel about Tenn. I like the people, but the place just seems so foreign. This move for you guys just makes me so happy!

Laura said...

So happy for you all. You have worked so hard for this! We will have to come visit you out there one day!

Alixa said...

Im so excited for you guys! It has been a long time coming for you and is so well deserved. Im excited for you to find a house. I know how badly you have wanted that. I remember reading about it when you moved to michigan. Anyway, cant wait to follow your journey through the blog and social networks. Its going to be great! :)

Lauren Davison said...

I am positively ecstatic for you! We loved the PNW and I miss it so badly. What an awesome blessing for your family. :)

The Butcher Family said...

So happy for you! Good luck with the move!

Jessica said...

wow how exciting! So happy for your family:)