Monday, June 2, 2014

walk the walk.

Chris walked in MSU's graduation in early May. He was initially against the idea. He knew he wouldn't be done with his dissertation and felt like it was awkward. But HELLO we have been here for 4 years and he had worked his cute little tail off and he was on schedule to finish in July and I did not go through all of this to leave Michigan without pictures of him graduating and wearing those very expensive fancyland robes we decided to buy with our tax return because he'll be wearing them for his entire career.

Obviously, I won that battle, because he agreed to walk.

His robes came a few days before the ceremony. He held them up and I saw his initials embroidered into the tag. Tears sprung to my eyes. This man really rocks my socks and to see his success playing out has been sweet. Though when it comes to looking cute in the doctorate hat, naked Q takes the cake.


Chris's parents came up for the ceremony. One of Chris's conditions about graduation was that we find a babysitter for the twins. He was quite enlightened, as the ceremony ended up be ridiculously long. Each doctoral candidate came up and their adviser was to say a few words, lasting about a minute. Well, apparently a "minute" means more to some than to others. We did bring Carly, and she made it through an hour plus, just long enough to watch daddy get hooded, and then it was off into the hallway for a chocolate doughnut. I wasn't all that frustrated with her, as I didn't mind the excuse to sneak out myself.


I called the graduation a "celebration" rather than a graduation. One of the reasons I wanted Chris to walk was to celebrate how far we have come with the people who helped us come so far. Chris's adviser, Jim, and his wife Linda have been such a blessing in both Chris's career and our personal lives. The kids get to see Linda frequently and they love her like a grandma. Chris's friends in the program have helped keep him sane and made the journey enjoyable. Chris parents have been there every step of the way, lending support and watching kids and offering advice. Four years ago this PhD journey felt like a never-ending one, but it is amazing to look back and see how all these people have smoothed out the bumps in the long road.


I wish I could sit here and talk about how strong and supportive his wife has been. Rather, she was a little crazy, giving birth to twins and losing her mind and getting easily frustrated, stressed, and overwhelmed. She held it together as much as she could, but poor Chris often did more than his fair share. I'm so so grateful he is such a good man. I'm grateful he understood and loved and supported, when often he was the one who needed understanding and love and support. I sometimes feel Chris has come this far despite of me rather than because of me, but I know he would disagree. This is a journey we have taken together. These have been 4 of the sweetest years, and this time will always hold a most special place in my heart.


After he walked the walk, he went back to talking the talk. He had a meeting with the stats consultant that afternoon, so he quite literally dropped his robes off in his car and headed off to work. Isn't that the most friendly reminder that you're not done yet? After his meeting, though, we did meet him at Red Robin for a celebratory dinner. Because it was graduation day, after all.


Two days later we celebrated his birthday.
Thirty-one years old and looking better every day.
I could not be prouder of him.
And I could not love him more.


1 comment:

Taryn said...

It really is the most amazing feeling to see them accomplish something they have worked so hard for! You guys both worked hard and sacrificed for this moment, and I am excited for you guys to move on to the next chapter in life. And that last picture in the birthday hats is kind of the best thing other! Love your cute little family!