Monday, October 13, 2014

our last days in Lansing.

Our final days in Lansing were hectic ones. We were throwing things in boxes, dumping things in the garbage, eating as many Dairy Dan flurries and Cottage Inn pizzas as possible, and visiting our favorite places. The weeks leading up to our departure were so stressful and busy with moving and visitors that I didn't have time to feel sad. Then we were in Idaho, and I didn't have time to feel sad. The sadness came when we settled in Pullman. Now that it is Fall, the very best time of year in Michigan, my heart still hurts. Maybe it always will? I am learning to love this new home, but I ache a little every day for what was. You know, besides the whole getting a PhD thing.

The 4th of July was a fun and simple one. We went on a walk at a nature reserve, John put a golf ball through the tv (which we have yet to replace; thanks, bud), I made the coolest fruit pizza you've ever seen, and we enjoyed a small-town tractor parade. You better believe I'm writing about the 4th of July in October, mostly because my posterity needs to know I made that United States shaped fruit pizza.


We visited lakes as often as we could in the final weeks. Chris sister Jenny and her husband Christian came for a visit and we headed up to Lake Lansing. Sadly it was a pretty chilly day, but it was nice to make one last visit.




We also bid farewell to our MSU Kinesiology family, particularly Chris's adviser Jim and his wife Linda. They were and continue to be a blessing in our lives. Goodbye was hard, but we can't wait for them to come visit (hint, hint).


Our final week in Lansing, my parents came to town to help me progress in packing and to fly with me and the kids back west. We paid our last visit to MSU. We took our picture next to Sparty and saw Tom Izzo and fed the terrifying aggressive ducks. My mind kept wandering to our first visit to campus with one-year-old Carly in a little jean skirt. It felt like such a long road, but somehow the journey we had there turned Michigan into home. I still think of it that way. I'll let you know when it changes. 




Our last Michigan weeks were good ones. We are pretty lucky to have loved it so much that it hurt to say goodbye, only to move to a place we will surely love just as much.

~

And a little bonus: I found a few pictures of the kids from our final trip to Lake Michigan. 
A beautiful place and some beautiful kids.







1 comment:

Tara said...

It usually takes me about a year to feel like a place is home. Although, you can still miss me beyond that if you want ;) I love those Lake Michigan shots! we miss the beach.