Saturday, July 14, 2012

party of five.

1. Carly

Carly is going through a phase. It involves a lot of screaming and not that much patience. She is as fun and as good hearted as they come, just a bit more moody. Two going on 16. She sure loves Quinn, and shares her stuffed animals with her, and even tucks towel around her in the carseat (this is a BIG deal . . . no one gets towel). She insists Quinn sits next to her in the car. This may have to do with the fact that Quinn doesn't scream like John, but I think Car has a soft spot for her sister. Carly's hair is all the sudden really really long. When it is wet it reaches her waist. Our very own Rapunzel. She has even been letting me "do" it ("just one pony!"), though I think that has a direct relationship to the heat.


We had a girl party the other day while Taco John slept away. We painted our nails. Carly loves to paint her own, and I try to mop up the mess as she goes. Q got her first pink toes, too. It was about time.


I managed to take all three kids to the local splash pad the other day. Carly was not a fan. Like her mother, she doesn't like getting splashed in the face. She preferred to eat her sandwich and play with the umbrella. And the babies pretty much fussed and ate. It was nice to get out, and we got to see friends, but I walked away feeling a bit twin-defeated. There was a family there with twins who looked just shy of 2 years old. I chatted with them and they gave me hope. And those 2 year old twins looked like a whole bunch of fun. Hopefully the splash pad will work better for us next summer.


2. Quinn

Quinn rolled over for the first time on July 10. It was an extended event, as she gradually moved from her back, to her side, and they tried to keep going and took a while to get her elbow out of the way. She smiles and is outrageously edible. She is starting to take real, swaddled-in-her-crib naps every afternoon, after a catnap in the morning. The hair she lost on the top of her head is growing back in very light, kind of a strawberry blond. She's our skunk baby. She is the sweetest, and it takes all my will power not to wrap her up in a tortilla and eat her with salsa.



 3. John

John is so annoying. I mean, really annoying. He will scream and scream, and you pick him up and he quiets right down and smiles huge and starts in on a conversation. He is insane. Or maybe he's just driving me insane. Because you kind of want to drop him off on a stranger's doorstep, but he is just so dang cute. And when you pick him up, he is just so dang sweet that all you can do is smile and melt and nibble on his cheeks and ears and neck. And you go insane. I remind him daily that if he wanted to be held all the time he should have come first . . . and alone. He is getting better at tummy time. His hair is growing is a lot, and depending on the angle and light, it could be red, blond, or brown. And it is fuzzy. Good grief he is handsome. Serenity now.



The babies had their 4 month appointment this week, John weighing in at 14 lbs 14 oz, and Quinn at 14 lbs on the dot. They are healthy and beautiful, and its hard but wonderful.




4. Erin

I recently went on a "diet", which pretty much involves eating smaller portions and better balanced meals. So its not really a diet, as much as it is just eating how you are supposed to and not like you're pregnant with twins. I've reached that point where the natural post-baby losing is gone, and now I'm going to have to work for it. I've been going to the gym more and hoping to run a 5k this fall. That's not much, but for me it is. It wasn't that long ago that I spent most of my days bent over a toilet of with a heating pad on my hips. I'm feeling grateful for a healthy body.

I've been doing a few things to our home. Not big things, but just little ones here and there. We have almost moved 3 times in the last few months, as I am desperate for another bedroom. But it falls through every time, and then we feel at peace about staying. So we'll stay. And I'll spice the place up a bit. I'll post pictures at some point. Maybe. My craft skills are mediocre at best.


I did make my first clothing alteration. I ordered matching dresses for Carly and Quinn for aunt Jenny's wedding, and Carly's was big and baggy on her. I had been looking everywhere for matching dresses that would work (it is so hard to find matching clothes in 3 months and 4T! I had them too far apart, I guess . . .), so I decided to try to bring in the chest at the sides. And what do you know? It worked.

Other than that I spend my days in basketball shorts and no make up, covered in drool and spit up, reading books, changing diapers, and being a guest at tea parties. It is a good life.


5. Chris.

Chris is gone for a million hours on Mondays and Wednesdays and comes home to an insane wife. But the other days are good, and I love having this man around more. I can't wait for fall weather, but I am dreading fall schedule. Chris recently decided to pick up cycling. He got a bike at the MSU surplus sale (where the sell bikes that people don't claim), and will be riding it to and from campus. That way he is working out while commuting. I'm a little nervous, but he has a helmet and gloves and neon yellow shirts. I think I might get him some flashing reflectors or something. But I'm happy he is excited about it. And he looks hot in his cycling outfit (can I call it an outfit? probably not). 


We went on a family date night on Friday night. We went up to the outdoor mall and picked up Steak n' Shake on the way home (that's as close as we get to going out to dinner). I sure love these little people, and the man I raise them with. I love summer days, and hectic nights. I love sneaking in to bed and looking through the crib slats at the two little shapes in the darkness, swaddled and snoozing away. I love that Carly asks for "just 3 more hugs" when I put her down for a nap. 

I love this party of five.

3 comments:

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

Your kids are so cute! You're doing a great job!

Stephanie said...

Aww, I just love those babies! So I'm planning on running the Parkinson's 5k again this fall if you want to join me...and there is one in Grand Ledge that supports the humane society that I would like to do as well. That one also has a 1 mile walk if the guys and kids wanted to tag along. Ryan would be a much better stroller pusher/kid carrier than runner :)

Lindsey Chadwick said...

awww! Your life seems so dreamy...although I'm sure some days it's not! ;) You sure are a cute mom though!!