Friday, August 1, 2008

The Beginning of the End

Well, we're officially in our "goodbye to Provo" stage. Its been really sad, actually. Today was my last day of work for Dr. Cates. I've worked for him for a year and a half and it was really sad to leave my desk and office and say good-bye. He treated us to lunch and that was really nice. So that was that. It is always good to move on, even though its sad. Then we passed on our little Black Hyundai to Chris's little sister Sarah. Chris was on the brink of tears pretty much because that car has been our car since the beginning and we have a lot of good memories with it. Sad! I, personally, love our new little Honda that my kind, amazing, and generous parents bestowed upon us before our move, but it is, once again, sad to say goodbye. Chris did take the Chicago Cubs license plate frame off our old car and put it on the new one . . . I think it looks great with the red, white, and blue Idaho plate!
In the next couple days we'll finish up packing and we'll head up to Idaho next week for a Thomas family vacation. Knoxville is coming so quickly--crazy.


Now hold on a second while I step up onto my Soap Box . . . .


I promise I'm not obsessed with the Dark Knight, I just thought I'd share some intense feelings I have on one particular issue. There was an article a little while ago online about the Dark Knight and how parents are complaining that it should have been rated R. These parents took their 8 and 9 year old kids to this movie, and then complained that it was too violent for kids. Ok . . . DUH! First, it is rated PG-13. Don't take your children to a PG-13 movie without seeing it first, people! Also, it says its rated PG-13 "for intense sequences of violence and some menace". Intense sequences of violence. And did they happen to miss all the advertisements and trailers featuring a terrifying Joker? Like the article said: "Did anyone not know this was a violent movie about a homicidal maniac in makeup?" Didn't it cross their minds that before they take their children to a movie like that, that maybe they should watch it first, instead of shoving the blame on to the movie-rating system, which has proven itself to be flawed time and time again. The rating system in far from perfect, so people need to clue in before they take kids to any movie not G or PG. It just drives me crazy when people are like "I took my kid to that movie that was rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and it was too violent!" I'm not saying I'm a fan of violence in the media---I am a fan of parents taking responsibility for what their children are exposed to. Stepping off my soap box now.

This movie looks pretty kid-friendly, right??

6 comments:

L said...

ha! i have to agree about the movie. when we went to see it, i was seated next to a kids that were about 8-10. All I could think was really??
lauren

Anonymous said...

So true about the movie! That movie was way disturbing and like you said, parents need to take responsibility. It just seems like a lot of them are totally retarded when it comes to taking the initiative. They just depend on TV and Hollywood to be parents for them. Give me a break!

PS: Moving is way sad. My last day of work is tomorrow and I'm really going to miss AZ.

Lauren Davison said...

Amen to your soapbox. I hate it when I get stuck in front of a parent with a young kid at movies like that. Not only is it annoying because the kid is crying for half of it, but I get so mad! IDIOT PARENTS!

Amy Jane said...

Arg, I totally agree! Some parents out there are just crazy...crazy I tell ya. How exciting that you are moving somewhere new, yet I understand the bittersweetness.. :)

Lanenga Family said...

Have fun your last couple of days with the crew! We wish we could be there and see you guys before you move. Good luck with everything and if you guys are every itching to come to CA or visit San Fran, give us a call, we got room!

sam and kyrsten said...

haha i really like your comments about the movie and parents taking responsibility! it so so true! hope things work well for you when you leave! it will be a fun new adventure