Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Like a Drug . . .

Incredibly addicting. Gives you highs and lows. Takes over your life.
It's the Olympics, and I cannot get enough.
I'm already dreading its ending this weekend.
I'm currently job-hunting (about my least favorite thing to do in the entire world), so I'm home all day on the computer. Thankfully, the Olympics are on to get me through. I get so emotionally invested in them--I care way too much considering I'm just an average viewer. I dare say this has been the best Olympics I've ever seen (granted, I only remember 2ooo and 2o04, but still, its really good). Some highlights for me thus far:
This is Shalane Flanagan. She won the bronze in the 10,000M. It was awesome because she had no idea she was in 3rd until she crossed the finish line and looked at the results. She was so happy she started crying. I love when people are happy just to get a medal! And she was so cute and grateful.

This is the mens beach volleyball team, Rogers and Dalhausser. They have been the most surprisingly entertaining thing for me during this Olympics. They are so fun to watch and amazingly talented. Love them. A word on the women's gymnastics though. I don't know if China got the memo, but the gymnasts are supposed to turn 16 during the Olympic year (and I mean 2008, not 2012). Look at their team! Not 16. They look like they average about 12 or 13 years old. And the U.S. girls keep getting screwed over (excuse the language) by this insane new system of judging. Annoying. I don't know, China just seems like they are a little fishy, raking in all those gold medals. I know, I'm bias. But I'm ok with that. I still think something fishy is going on in one way, shape, or form. Nastia should have won the uneven bars. I just finished watching her lose in that "tie break", and I'm rather bitter, in case you can't tell (remember when I said I get way too emotionally invested?). Anyway. . . . And last but definitely not least: Mr. Phelps.

Remember that one time that I was 10 feet away from Mr. Phelps?

That was awesome.

He is awesome. Going 8 for 8 in Gold Medals is awesome.

And he is the only person in the world who is better looking in a swim cap than without one, so that's impressive too.

And his races were so exciting. That last relay where he was going for Gold #8 nearly gave me a heart attack, my heart was beating so fast. I felt like I was going to be sick (remember when I said I get way too emotionally invested?). I'm glad he pulled it out--with the help of his teammates of course, who I think all too often get lost in the hype. Jason Lezak is the man and Phelps really owes two of his medals to him (remember that 4 x 100 M relay--talk about a heart attack).

I heart you, Olympics. Please don't end.

3 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

WOOHOO! Love love love. And I have to try my hardest not to curse China and all its inhabitants (which, I know, is not fair) when I watched (and re-watch) the many times during women's gymnastics that there seemed an oddly high score awarded to a chinese gymnast, ultimately causing them to inch out the Americans. Hmmmm...

L said...

we are like one mind. seriously, the gymnasts from that one country that is hosting it? how old are you little children? NOT 16! i too find it odd that the u.s. keeps getting edged out. oh p.s. i heart you too mr. phelps.

TD Quong said...

I know just what you're saying! I can't believe how much time we've spent in front of the TV this last little while--watching everything Olympics, even if we don't really care about the sport. It's amazing how you have team spirit when it's the USA competing! lol I love it.