Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The End is Near

I'd like to think so anyway. I'd like to think the end is very near indeed. I'm really hoping I'll have a baby within the next week. I've told Lil to come on Monday, August 10th. It will give me a weekend to rest and prepare after my last day of work, my doctor will be in, and it will be 1 week before my mom, dad, and brother arrive. I don't get to see them very often these days, and I don't want to be a delirious slug when they are here. And I really don't want to be an over-due whale when they come. So August 10th it is. I'm accepting all good vibes on that one;-). Unfortunately, one thing I've learned during pregnancy is that baby is the boss from day one. Such a little person controlling our every move--I have a feeling we have a lifetime of this to look forward to.
~
Pregnancy in review:
~
Cravings: In early pregnancy, I was so sick I had a very hard time eating anything. I can't even remember what I ate. I remember eating a lot of Progresso vegetable and wild rice soup, which is something I can't even think about now because its mentally connected to nausea. From my late 20 to mid 30 weeks, I had a total obsession with tomatoes. I've never really liked tomatoes but I was all the sudden putting them on everything: think slices on sandwiches and wraps, big chucks in scrambled eggs and on top of anything Mexican. Loved them. Then one day it just ended. Me and tomatoes went our separate ways. I also couldn't stand meat for probably the first half of pregnancy. I was probably 21 or 22 weeks by the time I got back to eating chicken. However, one thing I remain to love and crave is Applebees riblets--don't get me started on how much I love those. Other pregnancy obsessions include potato salad, milkshakes, and anything fruity and chewy (fruit roll ups, Mike & Ikes, Skittles, etc). At the beginning I couldn't stand chocolate (a travesty for this chocoholic) and I wonder if I'll ever again be able to eat many foods that ended up in the toilet after I ate them.
~
Whats really strange is the mental connection between certain things and being sick. I was sickest over Christmas break and into January. When I see pictures of people dressed in winter clothes or snow activities, a little wave of nausea hits me. This also happens with the "30 Rock" theme song. We watched hours of that show during Christmas and now the song makes me sick. And sadly, the same thing happens with the idea of Christmas. Christmas trees, presents, stockings, the whole thing--I get nauseous thinking about it. Its tragic. I'm hoping this Christmas will heal my emotional scarring.

~
My physicallness: Well, I have been nauseous every day for about 33 weeks, but that is just my thing, I suppose. Every person has a "thing" (or several) and mine must just be nausea. I was wondering the other night if it would really go away after the baby comes. The prospect of not being nauseous is exhilarating, but seems unrealistic. One great thing? No stretch marks. Not one. Every visit, by doctor compliments me on my nice stomach skin (it takes a special person to be an OB, I think, ha ha). I credit Creme de Corps, the $28 bottle of lotion we got on recommendation from Chris's thesis advisor. Once I started growing, my belly started itching so bad with no relief. I layer of Creme de Corps, a layer of Johnson's baby oil, and I was good. Nice and shiny and greasy, but good. And one bottle, though crazy expensive, has lasted my whole pregnancy, so for me it was a good investment. The other thing that helped with stretch marks was that my weight gain was relatively steady. My fastest weight gain was 8 lbs in 4 weeks, and that was during my trip to Idaho, where I was extraordinarily well-fed. All in all, my weight gain has been acceptable to me thus far, though I'm very curious to see how much I weigh after the baby and all the baby juices come out (yummy, I know). A final weird thing about my body? My feet have shrunk. They shrunk early, probably by 13 or 14 weeks. I remember putting on all my different heels for church and they were all flopping off. What?? They still do. I wonder if its permanent. And since I haven't gotten any swelling--or hardly any--all my shoes are now a size too big. Very strange.
~
I won't get into the emotional side of things too much. Some things are journal things for me, not blog things. But pregnancy is such a roller coaster of emotions. Exhilaration and excitement one second, followed by fear and worry the next. Its hard having a baby inside you where you can't check up on her, can't make sure she is doing ok. I used to freak all the time when I couldn't feel her move. Fun fact? I have an anterior placenta, which blocked me from feeling her for a while until she was a little bigger. It still muffles a lot of her movements, so I've been told. I do think I worried too much. Its my goal not to worry so much as a mother, because it can really drain the fun and excitement. One thing that's funny about pregnancy is it makes you survive this 9 month marathon of emotional and physical misery and joy. By the end you are totally exhausted and then--then--you're expected to go through labor and delivery. Every night I come home and think "There is no way I could do labor tonight, I just don't have the energy." That's why Monday sounds good to me. A weekend of a little R & R ought to get me nice and ready, right?
~
~
I've gotten a ton of great advice from new-mom friends. Now I'm going to open up a few last minute questions to the masses (k, I just realized there are a lot of questions; maybe pick one or two? ha ha). I know every mom, baby, delivery, recovery is different, but I want to hear your story:
*
What did you do, or wish you had done, to prepare for bringing the baby home? For example, I've heard of pre-cooking and freezing meals. We may or may not have family around when we bring her home (and I'm honestly fine with either), so what preparations would you recommend?
*
Did your water break? Did your labor begin with contractions that built up? I'm afraid I won't notice I'm in labor. Is that even possible?
*
Maybe more importantly, do you remember feeling differently shortly before labor began? Like sick to your stomach, out-of-it, or just "weird". I felt so "weird" yesterday and wondered if it was a sign. Alas, it wasn't because here I am at work blogging.
*
This is weird, but are babies cold all the time? Its 95 degrees here and a million percent humidity, will we still need to wrap her up in all sorts of layers when we take her home in the car?
*
If this is too personal, don't worry about answering, but any breastfeeding tips? This is my biggest fear, but also one of the things I have the greatest desire to succeed at.
*
How was your recovery? Did you feel like you were out-of-it for days, or were you up and at it in no time? I know you should take it easy no matter what, but what would you say I should be prepared for in terms of recovery?
*
How did you feel about guests? Was there ever a time when there were just too many guests or too much going on? On the other hand, if you were left alone early on did you feel overwhelmed trying to care for the baby?
*
This is my last "pregnancy post".
Its time to wrap up this whole pregnancy thing I think.
Time to move on to the baby thing.
Just a little surreal.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

To answer your questions:

#1-What preps would I recommend? Go to the temple, if you are close enough and have time. Its going to be awhile before you can leave her long enough to go. Also, get as much rest as you can before she comes. Spend one last night with your husband and enjoy the family of 2 one more time.

#2 and #3- I was induced and did not get the going into labor part. No advice on those. Sorry.

#4- Rule of thumb is to dress your baby in one more layer then you are wearing. I am not an expert on this, but I think every baby is different and it depends on their body build. Tayden gets heat rash really easily (because he is so big), so we dress him in what we are wearing. My cousins baby is really small and they have her layered all the time. Ask the nurse what she would do for your climate. She will let you know. Plus, your mommy instincts will kick in and you'll figure it out.

#5-Breastfeeding tips. STICK WITH IT! It can be kind of hard the first few times and it will hurt. But stick with it. It is so worth it and very good for your relationship with baby. Get some nipple cream, that helps alot. Also, be patient with Lil'. She is new at it too.

#6-My recovery was awesome. I didn't have any issues and was back into normal clothes within 3-5 days. It sounds like physically we had very similar pregnancies, so it wouldn't surprise me if you were much the same. Expect a little pain and bleeding for a few days, but know that is completely normal. Take an easy and rest while you can. That will help things.

#7-Enjoy guests while they are there. Soon they leave and you are all alone with your little baby. A big blessing, but it can be a little stressful for the first little while. So enjoy the guests and get some rest while they are there. I didn't do that and wish I had.

And a word from new mom to new mom. I know things can be a little overwhelming, but you will do so great! Things just start to fall into place and before you know it, you will be feeding her, typing on the computer and talking on the phone all at once. They become another appendage, so to speak. It all gets easier with time. I am so excited for you. Being a mom is the greatest thing that will ever happen to you. I know you are going to be fantastic. Can't wait to see her!

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

It sounds to me like you're more ready then I ever was. I just had some advice about breastfeeding. It's an amazing experience and so worth it but really hard (at least for me.) So I'd say stick with it, it literally took my baby 2 weeks to figure out how to latch on, and he never seemed to enjoy it as much as I did (but he still doesn't enjoy eating so I don't take it personally.) However, because he didn't like to eat he wouldn't suck as long as he should and I ended up starting to lose my milk at 5 months. I felt so guilty and like a terrible mom but I see now that breastfeeding is a 2 way street, my baby didn't love it and refused to eat as much as he needed to for my body to keep producing it. So I'd say do the best you can, take it one day at a time, and try not to feel guilty if it doesn't go exactly as you imagined (easier said than done.) I just figure now that every month I was able to breastfeed him gave him the immunities and nutrients he couldn't get anywhere else, and when I ran out of milk he did just fine on formula. I'm just praying my next baby will be an eater! Good luck!

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

Okay.. so for one, I was 5 days early, so I didn't really prepare because I thought I was going to go late! But, I would really agree with Stace and say go to the temple. Because it is so hard to get away (especially if nursing). Speaking of nursing... I would get a pump, if you can afford it. We got one through Medicaid and I didn't use it pretty much at all, but looking back I wish I would've used it alot more. Nursing was really hard for me at the beginning. It hurt and Kaden didn't want to latch on. But, then it got better and he wanted to eat all the time!! But, it is a good thing. I don't think it's really for me. But, everyone is different! Before I went into labor, I had been having contractions but not that bad. So I tried relaxing and drinking water, thinking they would go away. Well, they didn't and they got stronger, so we went to the hospital and I was at a 4. Kaden was born 4 hours later. It happened so fast, but I am glad it did. I don't know what you're doing about an epidural, but I would say to get one. It seems like you said in a previous post that you were for them. But that's my opinion on those. Anyway, wow I said too much probably!! Good Luck!! You will be amazed at how natural things happen once you have her. It's like this is what you were made to do and you just know how to do things you didn't think you knew. It's amazing! Can't wait to see your lil girl!

Tina Crowther said...

I had my first boy by C-section (he was breech) I would recommend being prepared for a Cesarean just in case (it's not that bad.)

I just had Caleb vaginally- much nicer! You will definitely know you're in labor- but I didn't really feel any different right before. Expect to be itchy for weeks! That was the biggest pain for me! I also tore a lot, but it's not as horrible as all the articles make that sound... you just do it.

Christopher in the winter- loved to be swaddled. Caleb, now in the summer- also loves to be swaddled but it's hard because he gets so hot and sweaty! and I'm still in Idaho.

Breastfeeding- is awesome! I had Christopher in Rexburg and the nurses there were soooo helpful and great. They helped me get started right away- including givign me some sugar water to help him latch on. Caleb, born at EIRMC was in the NICU for a week and I couldn't feed him for the first 24 hours... when I did, he did fine. Then, the nurse gave him a bottle, and the next couple times I nursed, he wouldn't! I was ticked! But, he caught on after that and I made sure noone else gave him a bottle. He's a great eater! You should be fine! I think some of the greatest advice I got about nursing and caring for a baby in general is "Nervous mama, nervous baby!" If you're anxious that she's not eating or sleeping or whatever, she can sense that and it's harder. So, relax!

I wasn't gonna say so much- but good luck! You'll be fine! Enjoy that newborn while you can, they grow too fast!

Lauren Davison said...

Wow! I think I appreciated all the advice your friends gave you as much as you will! I don't have any advice (obviously), but I had to just say that I have an anterior placenta, too! That had me pretty nervous when I had gotten to 20 weeks and wasn't really "feeling" her yet. I can't wait to see pictures of your little bundle of joy!!! :)

Tedi said...

I would recommend just relaxing and enjoying your time off work and being with Chris. If you feel up to making a few meals to put in the freezer/fridge I would do it. My mom came before Audrey was born and made some meals. We didn't eat them all the first while because people brought us food, but it was nice to have after people stop bringing you dinner because some days you just don't feel like making dinner.

I felt a lot of pressure to go early and finally when I relaxed she came the next day...5 days late. I was grateful though that I went into labor instead of being induced. I have heard that being induced makes labor harder and longer...but I don't know that from experience.

As far as labor goes, you will know. I had labor pains for 2 weeks that came and went but when I woke up at 4:30am and contractions were 3-5min apart I knew she was coming. My water broke on it's own sometime after I had the epidural. The Doctor had to use forceps to turn Audrey because she was posterior (nose up, instead of nose down). The Nurses and Doctor couldn't decide if she was posterior so I pushed to 2 hours. The recovery wasn't too bad. I torn a lot with the forceps so I was really sore. It took about 6 weeks for all of my pre-pregnancy pants to fit again. Be patient with yourself and your body, You will return to you normal self but it will take some time.

With Breastfeeding I would say stick with it. The 1st night in the hospital was the worst for me. I had cracked and bleeding nipples, but felt like a horrible mother for not really wanting to feed my baby. That was mostly hormones so just keep with it. One of the nurses recommended I get "Newman's Nipple Cream" It has all sorts of stuff from vitamin E to an Antibacterial cream, but you can only get it through a prescription. I don't know if they have it in Tennessee but I would ask, It saved me the first couple of weeks.
Well that's about all the advice I have for you! Good luck you'll do great.

Jessica said...

I am so thrilled that the end in in sight for you; the last leg of pregnacy can really drag...

First, your baby will come when she wants to. I was induced 10 days after my due date because jack's heart was flipping out but I often wonder if he would have ever come on his own.

I completly agree with stacey; go to the temple if its possible because once that little gril comes its going to be much harder to get there.

The whole breastfeeding thing is different with every person. For me it hurt like heck for about 6 weeks and then my nipples were so stong I couldn't feel a thing after. But seriously I cried alot because it hurt so bad. If there is a breastfeeding nurse at the hospital ask her lots of questions, have her show you but don't let her bully you; I've heard some can be quite pushy. Remember it's your baby and your body so you make the choices.

Recovery...if you deliver vaginally then your going to be a little sore, some people are ALOT sore and you bleed big time- the mother of all periods. I personally had really intense cramping after having Jack, it was like labor pains but it didn't last long and pain medication helped alot.
A bit of hospital advice: You can take anything disposal in your room with you, because its there for you and when you leave it is all replaced for the next person. So I took all the pads, I even asked for another pack, the numbing spray stuff, hand sanatizers (I took two), the large bed pads to sit or sleep on - they are great as diaper changing units. Anyway stock up at the hospital you wont regret it. This is totally OK because the nurse told me to do it.

Personally, the best advice I can give you is follow your instinct, the mothers instinct is not just a thing we say, it is REAL! But remember that instinct is different than peer pressure, alot of people will try and push their ideas on you, they might be great ideas but if you don't want to try them right away that just great.

The journey ahead is like no other rollercoaster on earth! LOVE is the name:)

Alixa said...

I have advice to give on breastfeeding... if you hate it, dont do it! I hated it, stuck with it for a month and finally gave up. Bottles are awesome, formula is great and it made me not resent my baby. I now can enjoy her and life again. Again, dont feel bad if you hate it. Do what is best for you! good luck!