Friday, August 7, 2009

Mark Your Calendars

For August 17.
~
At my doctor's appointment yesterday,
Lil still had no desire to meet her parents.
I mean zero.
So we'll force her out if necessary.
The plan is to go in Sunday night the 16th and get things rolling. The real induction will begin Monday morning. This gives Lil 5 days past her due date to see if she's interested in making her appearance unassisted. My doctor said that at the rate I'm progressing (zero), its unlikely I'll go into labor on my own before the 17th. But he's been wrong before, he said, and he doesn't mind being wrong. Only time will tell, but we'll have a baby on August 17th regardless. A definite light at the end of the tunnel is acceptable to me, even if that light is further than expected. Chris and I are well-informed on the ups and downs of induction. Because of this, its easy to have mixed feelings. But we trust my doctor, and he spoke yesterday about making sure to avoid anything that would create "a recipe for disaster". And I feel very much at peace with everything that went down yesterday. I usually take the "at peace" thing as a good sign. A few major perks to August 17th? That's the day my parents arrive in Knoxville. They'll be able to see Lil all shriveled and lizard-like, fresh from the womb. Also, my doctor will be back. He will be on vacation all week next week (when he told me, I almost flipped). He was very apologetic (how dare he go on vacation with his family) but after my check-up, he seemed pretty sure he'd be back to deliver Lil'. It also gives Chris a whole other week to get some of the billion things he'd like to get done before the big arrival. So all-in-all, the 17th is shaping up to be an opportune day. We'll take her if she decides to show up earlier, for sure, but for now I'm not minding the current schedule.
~
Except that means I have 10 days left of pregnancy. Not 5.
It also means I have a whole week of not working to fill.
What am I going to do with myself?

9 comments:

beckster said...

Watch Bones episodes???

Laura and family said...

You're going to hang out with me!! Duh!! :) Woohoo for Lil.. come on August 17!

Cami and Juan said...

7 days, if you would have known you wouldn't be so prepared so that you had some things to do! I think she'll come earlier and surprise you.

Sarah said...

read some good books. get some rest while you can sleep when you want. freezer meals?

sam and kyrsten said...

i think the 17th is the absolute PERFECT day for a little girl to arrive! (thats my birthday) also i am sure you will find more than PLENTY to do in that 10 days! just getting everything completely ready and prepared for lil' to come will be enough! good luck! i cant wait to see her! bring on the 17th!

Michael said...

Sounds like a momma's girl. Like's to stay close to you. =)

We're so excited! I hope everything continues to go well. You're on our minds.

Lauren Davison said...

Make a rag quilt! (That's my current project, and I'm so excited.) They're super easy and cute. Pah! I can't believe how close you are!!!

Ashley said...

My first baby (girl) was born on that day, by induction. What an exciting day. Good luck!

Unknown said...

August 17th is a wonderful day to have a baby, if not before. Good luck with all the waiting and anticipation! Watch lots of movies.