Monday, September 7, 2009

Mom and Dad

That's us.

I know. I don't get it either. I'm still wondering what force decided it was a good idea to let us be "mom and dad". I've often wondered what I did to deserve our precious Carly. The answer? Nothing. The Lord is very consistent at blessing us with things we don't deserve.

The Mama.
My full-time gig as mother has been quite the wake-up call (literally). Carly is always here. Like, she doesn't leave. And she always needs me. Like, really needs me. Not just "could you come here for a second?" but like "I'm going to scream unless you feed me every hour or 2". It was rather intense to begin with, and I believe I had a normal amount of baby blues. I think any new mom could agree the initial weeks of trying to get a grip on your new reality and hardly sleeping at all puts you in a bit of a spin. Today, four weeks later, I think the spin is just starting to slow down. Carly is me greatest source of joy. I spend a great amount of time laughing at her, because she is totally hilarious. I also spend a great amount of time crying. Ok, it used to be out of exhaustion, but these days its love and a little bit of bittersweetness (is that a word?) as she grows out of her newborn clothes and packs on the pounds. The other day I was rocking her and she was looking up at me with her wide beautiful Chris-eyes and I just started crying because she was so perfect and she was looking at me, because I'm her mom. So surreal. So my house is still a mess, I still find it hard to go anywhere, and my eyebrows are in serious need of a plucking. But I'm happy. Eventually I'll catch up on life, but for now, I'm trying enjoy every second, because she is getting way too big way too fast.

Baby Daddy.
Carly arrived at just about the busiest time in Chris's whole life. Ever. He's got several research projects, running The Center, Thesis work, and then school started when she was a week old. Its been a little nuts for him and he is beyond heroic with everything he has on his shoulders. Carly absolutely worships him. When he has her she just snuggles into his chest and grips his shirt with her hands and goes right to sleep. I don't know what it is, but her can get her to fall asleep any time. I think she just loves daddy snuggles. School is going well for him. Its hard when research depends so much on other people, many of whom fail to show up or do their part. Things are crazy and we are both looking forward to next semester, when things should be infinitely calmer. In the coming months Chris will have to add PhD applications and school visits to his list of responsibilities (though, hopefully some of his research will be done at that point). So far, he is looking at applying to Penn State, Michigan State, and University of Utah (I have no favorite, I promise, ha ha). I think there is another one or two in there, but those are the ones that are significant enough for me to remember. Anyway, Chris often says he's never been busier, nor more tired, but he has never been happier. Carly has that effect on people.
~
Now, since you've all waited so patiently and read all about us, here's what you really want. A few updated pictures of Carly:
~
The girl has giant hands and absolutely loves them. She wouldn't let me swaddle her with her arms at her side, and these days she refuses to be swaddled at all.

Mama and Carly having a tender choking moment.

Have I mentioned how much she loves her daddy?

Chris isn't a huge fan of the giant flowers. Neither am I, really. Medium sized flower is more my thing. But this is really cute, no?

Cubs fan . . . tired of all the losing.

One of my all time favorites. She is such a beauty. She always sticks her pinky out like that and I just love it. It will make me so sad when she grows out of that habit.
Mama and Carly during her third bath. The first two were a little traumatic so we didn't get pictures.

All ready for her first time to church. At almost 4 weeks old. Yeah, I'm a slacker.

Ok, there you go. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the regular blogging train. Even if my house stays a mess.

7 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

Slacker? At four weeks? I beg to differ! :) I probably won't be "allowed" to take ours out in super public places for two months or something... Dumb flu season. She's looking cuter than ever, though!

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you got some pictures posted. She is adorable. Seriously, so stinking cute. It sounds like you are adjusting well. And good call on enjoying her while she is little, I definitely did not enjoy Tayden as much as I should have. They grow like weeds! Good job, looks like you are doing amazing!

sam and kyrsten said...

she is adorable. i love those long skinny arms!

beckster said...

She's so pretty! And she's getting so big! Ugh, I miss her! Actually, I had a dream about her last night and she was magically two and looked just like Jenny... Aside from being totally cute, it scared me to death. I was so mad that my little Carly was growing up!

Laura said...

Yay. I love reading your stories. AND Carly is sooo adorably beautiful.

Cami and Juan said...

I love that last picture of her ready for church. That face she's making is hilarious and adorable. She is a beautiful happy-looking baby.

Sarah said...

i'm glad you are all adjusting to life. and she is cute!