Tuesday, May 8, 2012

the best birthday party ever.

Chris's birthday was on Friday.

I spent the day packing up 3 kids after a week-long stay at grandma's house.
Then grandma made the 4 hour trek home with us.
We got home around 7:45 pm.

Chris spent the day taking two finals, finishing grades for the classes he teaches, and doing some important things for a research project. 
He got home around 9 pm. 

Happy birthday, right?

[to document our state on his 29th b-day. i hope we look significantly more rested on his 30th.]

But we threw together a rockin' party.

There were streamers up from a shower I gave, so I took the pink ones down and left the 3 orange ones.
I also found two unused balloons that Carly and I blew up.

Decorations? Check.


We ordered pizza, and Chris's mom went to pick it up along with Chris's unexpected request: a carrot cake. (What the . . . ? I didn't even know he liked carrot cake.) Thankfully, she got some chocolate ice cream too.

Dinner and dessert? Check.

The birthday clown made his appearance, and I found some Disney princess candles that were left from Carly's 2nd birthday. Matches were harder to come by, so Chris and Carly blew out imaginary fire. "Where did the fire go?" Carly asked.

Upholding traditions? Check.


Entertainment?
Check.


As Carly declared while Chris opened his presents,
"This is the best birthday party ever!"

I felt a little guilty for our thrown-together celebration, but we were all together again, so she was right; it was the best birthday party ever.

Well, maybe not ever, but it was nice.

My man is 29. Six years of marriage, 3 kids, and in no time he'll be Doctor Chris.
Man, we are getting old.
Today I was thinking that if Chris was home all day every day, life would be absolutely perfect. 
We'd still be poor and we'd still be driving one overwhelming kid train.
But he'd be with me.
So it would be perfect.

Yep, I like him that much.

And for the record, on his 30th birthday I plan on being 10 lbs lighter, sleeping twice as much, have the house significantly cleaner . . . and I'll make sure to have matches.

No comments: