Wednesday, May 30, 2012

three months young.

At a quarter year, J and Q are huge.
I don't know where my 5 lb newborns went, but I think they disappeared into a fountain of formula and a pile of smiles.
All of the sudden, I've got two full blown babies on my hands.
And I thought the newborn stage was crazy.

John and Quinn are both currently sleeping through the night, anywhere from 7 to 10 hours (John is usually 7, Quinn is usually 9 or 10). About two weeks ago I was going nuts with the waking up at night thing John was clinging too, and I forced him into a swaddle (we lived and died by swaddling with Carly). And, wouldn't you know it, he's been sleeping through the night pretty consistently ever since. I did the same thing with Q, and her 5 am wake up time has been extended to 7 or 8. And I usually get them down within a half hour of each other. Blessed silence.


The trade off? They are up all day, with one long nap each (not really at the same time, yet), and little catnaps here and there. It makes for very hectic days, and means I have about 2 hours of stuff to do every night after they go down. We are working toward some sort of organization, even if it is organized chaos.

They seem to be a bit behind Carly in terms of milestones. Their doctor said not to worry, and in fact to expect little delays in milestones. They came a month early and had a slow start. I'm ok with this, as I learned with Carly mobility has it's downfalls. She was crawling at 7 months and walking at 11, so I'm perfectly fine if the duo takes it much slower.

J and Q are both awful tummy timers. Quinn is so chill, she just lays her head down, perfectly content to just lie there. John usually just has one thing on his mind, so he plants his face on the floor and tries to suck formula out of it.

Both babies finally seem to have a handle on smiling, and its just about as cute as it gets. Quinn has a constant smirk it seems, and John does these big smiles and likes to tell all sorts of stories.

John's fussiness is getting better. He still has his moments, but he is a much different baby than a month ago. The other day Chris said, "I'm actually starting to like him now." Ha! So true. He is one seriously cute, horribly spoiled little boy.


Quinn is as calm and wonderful as the day she was born. She is the best nap buddy in history, and when I don't have to hold anybody, I choose to hold her, as the other two are much better about demanding attention. Her treatments are going well, and after the last one she was noticeably turning her head toward the right more often and with more ease. The doctor said we should she a real difference in head shape by 6 months, and by a year you won't even be able to tell she was once a baby girl version of a hammerhead shark. She hold on to my hair like a safety rope, but doesn't pull (yet). It makes me melt when she falls asleep with those little hands clasped tightly around my hair.

My go-to joke when talking about the duo is that people who say they "want twins" or "twins would be so fun" have never had twins. I saw a guy at the store who saw the babies and asked if twins were fun, and I said "Not really." He laughed and said he had two boys due in a few months. I replied, "Good luck. You'll love them a lot."

Because, I'm not so sure "fun" is the best way to describe the last three months. Blessed? Certainly. Happy? Even more so. But I might have to start changing my tune. I dare say they are getting fun, and the thought of two one year olds just about makes me want to explode with happiness (I LOVE one-year-olds). Maybe from now on when people ask if they are fun, I'll have to reply "Not at first, but it gets better." Live and learn, right?


Happy 3 months, Q and J.
We're glad you joined us.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Darling kids!

The part about people telling you they want twins made me laugh because I'm one of those people who always says that. But it's because I am a twin (the worst question we get asked is "Do you like being a twin?"), I know how hard it was for my mom but it has been a special blessing in my life and selfishly the part of me that hates being pregnant just wants to get two over with at once!

Anyway, cute, cute kids. I'm glad they're sleeping better.

Cami and Juan said...

Quinn smiling, that is the most adorable picture. John has no interest in smiling for the camera, ha! And I'm so glad your girl has the hair, boys rock the bald look better.

Golden Girl said...

I am one of those crazy people that thinks having twins would be so so so much fun! I still think that even after what you and Tamsin have gone and will go through. You make it look "fun", so you are doing a good job!

They are adorable as always! Maybe we will meet them if we can make it over to ID while you are there.