Saturday, November 17, 2012

an awesome autumn.

Earlier this week we awoke to white rooftops, frosted windshields, and snowflakes fluttering in the air. While I am glad we have yet to get real snow, it was the first signs of what I'm sure will be a winter that drags on too long. But while its still new, those fluttering snowflakes sure are beautiful.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we are bidding farewell to this Fall season. What an awesome and blessed autumn it has been for us. As Chris's semester approached, I felt a lot of anxiety and apprehension, knowing he would have long days and late nights, and wondering how I would manage after I had struggled so much during the summer. But it has been wonderful. I'm not sure if it was the babies getting older and a bit more enjoyable (and dare I say a tad easier?), or a better routine with actual structure, or my increased emotional stability (ha!), but the Lord truly blessed us. We managed to not just survive, but actually enjoy. Most of the time, anyway.

We had some visitors. Chris's parents made the drive north, and we took them to our favorite little pumpkin patch/cider mill. They also watched our three little pigs so Chris and I could go to a MSU football game with Chris's adviser and his wife. They have some incredible seats, and it is kind of them to invite us. It is typically our only game per year, and this year we got a very cold and rainy day. I would have turned into a popsicle if it weren't for the old giant puffy green winter coat we found in Chris's office, which is right across the river from the Stadium. I was quite the fashionista in that thing, but I pulled my arms in and it was like I was sitting in a little tent. Of course, the freezing cold game went into double overtime. And MSU lost. C'est la vie.




One wonderful thing about this Fall has been a fairly regular schedule. Preschool, library story time, and playgroup add a little variety, socialization, and consistency to our weeks. Carly has really loved school. Chris takes her every Tuesday and she loves that, almost as much as he does. She is learning her letters really well, and though was initially stand-offish with the other kids, now seems to be playing and interacting with them much more normally. I have to admit, I feel like my trash has been kicked after my turns teaching. My first week, I ended up with way too much time left. My second go-around was a lot better, but I packed so much into two hours I was wasted afterwards! Its safe to say I was not built to be a teacher, and those of you who are are truly gifted. I was trying to figure out what to do with the things she makes every week, and thought I would put them all in a book and make her an alphabet book. It is looking pretty cute so far. I'm grateful we're in a place with friends that make it possible to do this little preschool. It has been great for her.


[living up a warm Fall day at the park.]

[six little pumpkins on my porch.]

Chris has been busy, but I suppose that is no surprise. He was amazing to sacrifice a lot of time for me to train for my 10k, but after my race he had to spend a lot of time at school making up for lost time. Its amazing to think his years of coursework are winding down, and soon he'll be passing comps (woohoo!) and  start working on his dissertation. I used to want a PhD, but watching Chris has convinced me otherwise. I'm proud of him for how hard he works, grateful for the wonderful daddy he is, and downright smitten by his dashing good looks.

Every year Chris's PhD advisor and his wife host a chili leaf rake, where he invites his students over to rake up his leaves, and his wife, Linda, makes the most life-altering chili you've ever had. Like seriously, I'm obsessed with this chili, people. I think I ate 3 huge bowls this year. And a bonus? My three kids provide me with a pass so I didn't rake a single leaf. Linda was also sweet enough to get some fun Halloween crafts and little goody bags for Carly and the other kids who were there. She had so much fun, we had to drag her out of there kicking and screaming. We are blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people.





Other Fall highlights:

-A visit from aunt Sarah, who entertained my kids, made three flu shots in one doctor's visit significantly easier, and held down the fort while I ran my race.

-I survived my first primary program. I was that awkward person who hunches over by the pulpit and whispers the lines to the kids who didn't memorize or can't read yet. We had our first practice the day after my 10k, and I was way more exhausted after the practice than after the race! But I'm grateful for the chance to work with the kids on the program; I feel like it allowed me to get to know them all better. The kids did really wonderful, and it was a great thing to be a part of. But we all let out a little sigh of relief when it was successfully completed. I really can't believe next year Carly will be a little Sunbeam in her first program.

-At the beginning of the semester I was wondering how I was going to survive my Thursdays, since Chris left early and got home late. I decided to start up a dinner group, and other wives in similar situations joined in. It has been great. Everyone brings something to share, and the kids play and the moms talk and everyone wins. It has been a life-saver on more than one long crazy Thursday.





We took these leaf pictures in October. It was a beautiful morning, and the kids all loved playing in the leaves. When we walk by the same location today, the trees are barren and wintry  and all the leaves have been raked up and shipped off. I always joke that I want to live somewhere that is 75 degrees and sunny year-around. Chris says no way; you just can't beat the 4 seasons. And he's right. We enjoyed this beautiful Fall in the Mitten, and now I'm feeling the urge to wear cozy jammies, sip hot chocolate, watch Elf, and listen to N'SYNC Christmas in the twinkling lights of our Christmas tree.

We hope y'all had a happy Fall, too.
xoxo.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Sounds like a fabulous fall!! I'm completely and utterly jealous. And what a perfect description of Christmas. Makes me more excited then I already am!