Wednesday, November 21, 2012

bucket full of gratitude.


I have just been basking in gratitude this morning.

I'm grateful for an artistic and creative three-year-old, who is so artistic that she drew all over our walls with a black marker for the second time in three days. The first time was small, and she got a time out and a small talking to. This time she managed to include 4 different walls. It was a masterpiece.

I'm grateful for the Lord's help in granting me patience, so instead of completely exploding, I carried her to her room in silence, explained the situation, and left her there, "grounded." For a half an hour. And when I felt like it was enough, I walked in and hugged her and told her I loved her. And she hugged me back and said she was "so so sorry I colored on the wall."

I'm grateful for a healthy mobile almost 9-month-old baby girl, who is typically the sweetest thing around, but this morning crawled (on all fours!) around after me as I dealt with Carly, whining and moaning, complaining about her newly arriving teeth and the fact that she had not yet gotten her breakfast. I'm also grateful for the little angels that watched over her as she scaled EVERY SINGLE STAIR to come up after me when I took Carly to her room and explained why she was in lock down. I am incredibly grateful I did not hear the sounds of a baby tumbling down the stairs on her first ever trek up them. 

I am grateful for our maintenance man, who showed up to fix our overflowing pipes by our washer, which we discovered last night while letting Quinn "cry it out" for 45 heartbreaking minutes, which then led to John waking up and requiring another entire bottle. That great maintenance man, who doesn't cost us an extra penny,  came just as Carly and Quinn were screaming at their loudest, and just as I had dirty laundry scattered ALL OVER the living room floor. But he fixed my washer, so now I can clean it all.

I'm grateful for my boy, John Thomas. He is rarely (never!) the face of calm in the chaos, but today he sat and jabbered happily and played with a package of wipes, watching the crazy all around him, probably wondering why the Lord sent him to a house of insane women. His daddy wonders that all the time.

I am grateful I survived this entire morning without a single tear or yelling a single word. Because 4 months ago that would have been completely impossible. 

I am grateful that tomorrow is Thanksgiving, not just because its Thanksgiving and I get pie, but because Chris will be home for FOUR STRAIGHT DAYS. Meaning I will not be alone with these beautiful little hellions until Monday. I love that man, and life is just so totally way better when he is around. We cherish our time together as a family, and a relaxing low-key Thanksgiving at home is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I'm grateful for this crazy life, because in all the bad there is just so dang much good.

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.
xoxo.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Seriously why did you guys have to move away! I'm in awe of all that you do. Hope you have a happy thanksgiving. I am thankful to know you. Love you all!