Saturday, April 20, 2013

just for me.

Our church held its semi-annual General Conference two weeks ago.

General Conference is a whole different animal once kids come along, and when you have a 3-year-old and two one-year-olds? Its a party. Or something like it. But we make it a priority in our home. We had it on, and watched as much as we could. Carly actually did great until hours 7 and 8. I caught snip-its here and there, and am forever grateful for the written transcripts that popped up on my iPad a little while later.


In the chaos of life, it is such a blessing that every 6 months we get the chance to hear from people who I know to be servants of God. Its a spiritual oasis.

And every Conference, I feel like something, or a few things, were said just for me, because I needed to hear it. This time around I was sitting next to my husband (a miracle!) and after a really great talk on marriage, I heard the words: "Marriage is a gift from God to us; the quality of our marriage is a gift from us to Him." That was just for me.

Because when there is a PhD to be earned, three tiny humans to be fed and cleaned and entertained and taught, a home to run, church callings to fulfill, and maybe even a little rest to be had, its hard to make marriage a priority. Chris is my rock. He is the one constant in a world of change. Its very easy to take that for granted. I needed to hear how important it is to make our marriage a quality one, to put it at the top of the priority list and not a few spaces down. Because I love my husband more than I'll ever be able to speak or write in words. I love him quite a bit.

Another favorite was this one on the way we speak to children. I particularly loved the end. She was talking about speaking positively and uplifting our children, telling them just how great we think they are, and she said, "Isn’t that what our Heavenly Father was saying to His Son and to all of us when He said, “This is my beloved Son” and then added, “in whom I am well pleased”?" Such a beautiful thought. It passes through my mind now, whenever I get a tone with Carly that is too harsh.

Most nights I get into bed and read a bit of Conference on my iPad and feel the spirit uplifting me, and I feel a little stronger the next day. What a blessing it is.

xoxo.

No comments: