Friday, April 19, 2013

mimi [and grandpa] in michigan.

Chris enjoyed his written comps at the beginning of April. The poor guy had a take-home that took a week, followed by three written comps stretched over another week. He had long days and late nights and I don't know how we survived, but he did. He's a super hero.

Knowing he was going to be MIA, my mom and dad planned a visit to come help me hold down the fort. My mom stayed for 10 days, sleeping on an air mattress in the living room, getting up early with my kids, spoiling John rotten with snuggles, changing diapers, and stocking the kids in summer clothes. She got a workout pumping up Carly's inflatable solar system, and learned all about planets from our in-house three-year-old expert. We also had a few rounds of Cottage Inn pizza, way too many Dairy Dan's turtle flurries, and enjoyed the entire first season of Call the Midwife. One night she even had the chance to witness the worst freak-out breakdown Carly has ever had, which ended with her falling asleep on the couch at 10:30 while watching Angelina Ballerina . . . just in time for Quinn to wake up screaming in a crib full of puke. I sure was grateful she was there with me. She's my favorite mom ever.



My dad joined the party for the final few days and played a lot and ate . .  . more turtle flurries. Sadly, pretty much the entirety of the visit was filled with rain. We went to an indoor play place in town which was hopping upon our first arrival, but I think it ended up being pretty fun. Chris completed his last comp on the final day of their stay, and we all went to Red Robin to celebrate.



One evening we went to Target. Carly had been getting something at every shopping trip, so I wasn't planning on letting her get anything. She was acting completely spoiled and on the verge of a breakdown any at any moment. I spent the entire trip talking her down from hysteria, and my nerves were shot by the time we got everyone packed in the car. My mom didn't say anything, nothing needed to be said, but she slipped a dark chocolate caramel onto my leg. That's what moms are for.

Chris took them to the airport on a Saturday morning. Carly and I watched them go out the window, and I cried. "You're not supposed to cry, you're a grown up," Carly said. "Grown ups cry, too," I told her. "I always miss my mommy and daddy when they leave."

"I miss them, too," Carly said, her own tears brimming in her eyes.

We sure are blessed to have such fabulous family that we still shed tears when we part.

We love them a lot.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This post made me teary. I always miss my mom and dad too. Love your relationship with Carly. So sweet.