Friday, April 26, 2013

scenes from the C house.

Things are going on in the C House.
I feel like there is so much to remember. 
The thought of forgetting anything ever is heartbreaking, but I suppose that is life. That's why they say to "enjoy it while it lasts" and "enjoy the journey."
Its hard on the loudest and crankiest days, but I often find myself peeking into a room or walking around a corner and finding the sweet scenes that make this life of mine so good (and so crazy).

  • Quinn is edible. Chris rocks her to sleep every night while we watch West Wing (fun routine, huh? Chris is the baby whisperer) and then we both stare at her because she is just breathtaking. She is a little walking pro who loves to climb up up up. I brought our slide up from the basement and she crawls up but is afraid to go down without help. If Q is crying, she is usually stuck on top of the slide. She thinks she's funny, and she's pretty right on with that. She is a blankie girl, often dragging one around, especially her big pink one that she sleeps with. She also has a special affection for a big green monkey. She'll wrap her arms around it with a big smile and body-slam hug it into the ground.
  • John has a small psychotic obsession with the great outdoors. Like the second you crack the door he charges, and if you close it, he throws himself on the ground and screams. And when you drag him inside, even in pouring rain, he does the same thing. He doesn't mind that he can't walk, he just likes to crawl around and get super dirty and bang sticks and try really hard to escape into the road. He is driving me a little nuts, waking up multiple times still and acting a bit like he's 3 months old. He's been needy and whiny. And then Chris sticks his finger in his mouth and discovers 3 big ol' molars poking through. I swear the kid has been teething for 8 straight months.
  • The twins are terror tornado toddlers, for reals, these days. They can dismantle a room in about 17 seconds. Its hard to keep up with one, but two is just for crazy people. So I often just watch, because they are funny, and any mess can be cleaned up. They make the biggest mess while eating, throwing a ton of food all over the floor and dumping sippy cups. John recently started exfoliating his face and shampooing his hair with his meal, while Quinn sucks on her food and then spits the remnants out all over herself. Makes for mess mealtimes and multiple outfit changes, if they are lucky enough to be wearing clothes in the first place.

  • There are kids in the neighborhood that Carly likes to play with. Well, she's getting used to the "playing" idea. She'll play all day with kids from the ward, but it is like the neighborhood kids are wild unknowns, and she spends a lot of time just looking at them. For some reason, I feel a little anxiety about the kids. Its not the kids, its just the idea of letting her go, having her be exposed to people I don't know. I watch her, and we have rules, and it is an opportunity to teach kindness and good choices from early on. But its just bizarre this phase is upon us. I'm not old enough for this.
  • We tested Carly for Celiac disease. It came back negative, so naturally we went out and got her a doughnut. She still complains of tummy aches, so I might just declare her gluten sensitive and limit her intake. We'll see.
  • Carly, I dare say, is 100%, dry-through-the-night, independent, no-longer-afraid-to-poop, potty trained girl. The 16-month method was not exactly what we had in mind when we started. It was process to say the least, but she has just taken the final leaps and bounds in the last few weeks, I'm incredibly proud of her. She was ready, so she did it. She's always been that way, I'm not sure why I'm surprised.  

  • The kids are all very sweet with each other, and it is interesting to see their individual relationships develop. Carly and Quinn play a little more sophisticated. They play with toys, give each other kisses, and interact and communicate in their own way. Carly and John are more physical, tackling, tickling, sliding, giggling, snuggling. Carly and John also have very similar temperaments. Chris and I joke that they are going to tear each others' heads off as teenagers because they are too much alike, and Quinn will be the peacekeeper because she is just her own little unique thing. Quinn and John are getting super cute, making each other laugh, playing peekaboo around the couch, and holding hands at meals. They will both climb up on the slide and look at each and start giggling. Their personalities are all so different, but they find ways to mesh with each other so well. Sometimes. The rest of the time its mostly just screaming.
  • I recently started running again, after taking an extended hiatus after my dehydration hospital adventure. I felt so weak and so nervous and had very little confidence in my body for a while. I lost a lot of weight and pretty much felt like doing nothing but eating and sleeping. But I'm working on getting back in it, and my half-marathon goal is clinging to life. I'm also in the midst of sugar rehab, because eating an entire pan of scotcheroos in two days and a package of cookies in one day is typically frowned upon. I went through some painful withdrawals for a few days, but it is going well. Ummm, well-ish.
  • Chris has his oral comps on Monday. Its the final step before going ABD ("all but dissertation") and we are praying hard for success. He has worked incredibly hard, and I can't even believe we're at this point. I remember arriving in Michigan and feeling like we had forever, and now our months are numbered. This is our home; we have been so blessed. The thought of leaving has begun to enter my mind, and it makes my heart hurt. So I'm not going to think about it anymore. Karma, prayers, and crossed-fingers for Chris on Monday.
Life is beautiful.
Scenes are sweet.
These kids are as good as it gets.
xoxo.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

I say it every time, but I feel like I could be reading my own blog each time you post. I think it's comforting to know I am not the only one living this ordinary, crazy, and wonderful life! And so many cute pictures of those little ones!!!