Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gettin' Feisty

So I've been looking at the Young Women's lesson I have to give on Sunday. Its my first one. I'm a little nervous. Young Women's is different here. There aren't any tablecloths or cute hand-outs, just straight-talk lessons and girls who need it, amazing girls who have no idea what its like to have 75% of your high school be the same faith as you. Anywho . . .

My lesson is on money management, and after a news story I read and an email I got, I couldn't help but think that UT should have attended Young Women's.

Let me explain. But I warn you, I just may get feisty.

The past few weeks at UT have been full of cost-cutting plans. UT claims they are "energy-saving" plans, and to some extent I'm sure they are, but mostly because energy costs so much. For example, campus buildings will be kept at 68 degrees over the winter, and 76 over the summer. No personal heaters or fans are allowed. There is also a mandatory freeze on hiring, renovations, furniture and equipment purchases. And a "moratorium" (aka: a suspension of activity) on new academic programs. In the meantime, the freshly-fired head football coach, Philip Fulmer, just got a new gig as the "special assistant to the President" of the university. He gets to walk away with his $6 + million contract buy-out and continue to earn an income of who knows how much--at least the upper 6 figures I'm guessing. Fulmer's job? "Developing and enhancing strategic relationships for the university." Really? I mean, really? I'm sitting at work in 2 jackets and my coat, wondering where my gloves went, and UT is keeping Fulmer around, after paying his buy-out, so he can schmooze people who would probably give money to UT anyway and who's money won't even leave the athletic department? Really? When my husband can't even make copies for the undergraduate classes he teaches? Really? Really?

I'm teaching a group of teenage girls to tell the difference between necessity and want this Sunday. I'm teaching them to learn to be happy without non-essentials. UT should have had a Young Women's lesson or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I can't believe that they're doing that to you guys. Sounds like what's happening on Wall Street with all of the CEO bonuses...pathetic. You have a right to be feisty.

Cam said...

Ugh, that kind of stuff makes me sick. FOR SHAME!!