Monday, December 15, 2008

Make Decisions for Me, Please

So, I'm at a loss. I can't possibly decide. I've been wrestling with this for over a year, and now I leave it in the hands of any random stranger that comes across this blog and stops to vote.

A few weeks ago, I applied for graduation at BYU (yay, me). I applied as a Sociology major with a Political Science minor.

But as most of you know, I ended up living in Tennessee. I had a total of 5 classes left in order to graduate with both the minor and the major. The major is done. I had 2 general eds and 3 minor classes.

So here is my question. I've only finished one class since arriving in Tennessee (I'm a loser, sure, but I'm also working 40 hours a week and have a calling and its nice to see my husband from time to time). All my classes have to be done by April 3, which leaves 3 months after Christmas. Is it worth it to keep the minor? I could, easily, drop the minor, and instead of having 4 classes to take in 3 months I'd only have 2. It would be so nice, and honestly that's what I kinda want to do. But then I wonder if that minor would make a difference some day. Considering its political science, it probably never will. I have no real interest in working in politics. I just love it as a hobby. And online classes are not nearly as exciting as lectures. But maybe, my head tells me, maybe it will matter some day.

Here is the other thing: I AM GRADUATING IN APRIL. Waiting until August is not an option. My brain is entering into a post-baccalaureate phase. Thoughts of grad school and other exciting post-bachelor's-degree-married-for-almost-three-years events have begun to swirl around in my head. Come April, I must be done. I question my capability to do so if I keep the minor.

So what do you think? Keep the minor, because it will be worth something some day and figure out a way to finish by April 3. Or drop the minor, because its just a poli sci minor, and finish free and clear with much less stress, because the Bachelor's degree is really what counts (and heck, its a Sociology degree, so its pretty broad anyway, and almost requires a higher degree to do anything with anyway).

I need your brilliant thoughts.

8 comments:

beckster said...

I voted for a no, sweetie. You don't need the added stress in your life. BUT....there is always a big but....if you love it, do it. Do what you like, like what you do.

Lauren Davison said...

My opinion is that if you are trying to get them all done by April--by the end of it all you would hate poli-sci from all the stress anyways. So... I voted drop it. I personally believe you should feel happy about your education, and if it will cause you to pull all your hair out to finish in time, I'm just not sure if that's worth it! That's all! :)

Laura and family said...

I just dropped my minor so I can finish in may :)

Tedi said...

Erin,

I had a similar situation with a business minor. The business minor may had been more applicable but it wasn't what made sense in the timeline. And lets be honest...degrees in sociology aren't particularly applicable either:) I think graduate with the Sociology degree and if you really want to take the political science classes, audit or take them at the university you are at. Minors aren't super useful anyway! Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

Taryn said...

Drop it! School is for fools :) I know the feeling of being done soon and trying to think of myself having to extend 4 months for a minor makes me a little ill. I loved your post-BS-married-for-almost-three years plans...I am feeling those too :) And I love that you are offering your life decsions to the blogosphere. I think I might have to use that tactic someday!

Michael said...

I didn't get a minor. I took sign language and French 1 and International Relations and other random stuff until I had enough credits to tap out. Shoot, I barely got a major (and some might even question the validity of my English degree as a "major"). I turned out o.k. =)

sam and kyrsten said...

wow i might have the opposite oppinion... I think you are so close you might as well just do it... although if you really dont care then drop it! I like taryn love the way you put your post degree statement. Have a merry christmas and good luck with your decision

Caroline said...

I would just do what you can to get your degree finished. In the end, I don't think it really matters whether or not you have the minor...although if you plan to go on to grad school it will look good, although it probably won't be a deal breaker.

As a recent graduate, I say just do what you have to do to finish...the sun will shine brighter and you will feel happier, trust me!