Wednesday, January 28, 2009

From Russia With Love



Oh, wait. This isn't Russia. The U.S. Postal Service could have fooled me. Let me explain:
~
At Christmas (one of these days I'll post Christmas pictures), Chris and I only took carry-ons on the plane with us because our flights were delayed and changed and switched and messed up, and we didn't want to deal with lost luggage. So we left everything but the minimum at Chris's parents house. Because of this, we were unable to fit all our Christmas gifts from my parents in our luggage, and my mom said she'd be willing to send it to us in a package.
~
Yesterday we got our package.
~
We looked through and thought everything was accounted for--except Chris's new nice Nike sweatshirt. I called and asked if my mom forgot it. No, she said, I swear I put it in there. Did we get the cookies? No cookies. Did we get the garments (yes, I asked for garments for Christmas). Yes, we got those. Did you get the bank statements from Zions Bank? NO. Traffic ticket information? NO. Hmmmm. . . missing items: expensive sweatshirt, ticket info, and bank statements (thankfully we no longer have that account with Zions).
~
My mom said when she sent it the bottom of the box had a few basic layers of tape. The box in our apartment has an excessive amount of tape on the bottom.
~
Two possibilities: first, the box burst, along with another one, and the delivery men got the contents mixed up and happened to give our expensive/highly personal materials to the other box. Other possibility: someone cut it open from the bottom, found what he thought might be useful, and taped it back up--really well.
~
My brother served his mission in Russia. This used to happen when my mom sent things to him--expensive stuff would go missing. My mom even said one time he sent books wrapped in nothing but paper and string and it made it to Idaho (from RUSSIA) in one piece. And the U.S. Postal Service can't get a package from Idaho to Tennessee without one of their workers breaking in? And they wonder why people choose Fed-Ex and UPS over them? Uggggg.
~
I'm really annoyed right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, the post office drives me NUTS! They seriously have a difficult time doing anything right.

Caroline said...

I am sorry about your missing items, that is so odd. And I totally know what you mean about sending packages to Russia, we had the same experience in our family. Sorry about the loss, but I am excited about the news Chris delivered to us last night!

Michael said...

You would expect more out of the USA. Too bad you can't. Some people's kids!

Laura said...

Ok so don't think I am weird, but I am reading your blog (yes i do have a job, but i like to read while working)Anyways. I came across this post and I have to comment because Scott (Kase's brother) sent home stuff from his mission in Texas and the same thing happened! There was stuff missing out of his box, but it was taped back together and mailed. Shadey I tell you!

I hope you'll still be my friend and don't think it's creepy that I am reading your old posts. (or you can think it's creepy, but still be my friend?)

(I like using parentheses today)
Also I like your blog!