Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'll Miss Him

Regardless of what anyone says, I'll miss him. Yesterday, was a great day, historic . . . . all that jazz. But I'm horribly burnt out on Obama-mania, and its only day one. I hope he does well--for my sake, for America's sake--and I wish him luck. But yesterday, one of the things that was most disappointing was the way Obama-maniacs treated George W. Bush. Little cheering, Booo's, and even singing "Na-na-na, hey hey hey, good-bye." Classy.

I was happy for Bush, when he arrived in Texas last night. Fox News was the only channel that showed it (of course--everyone else had to show a steady stream of nothing happening at the White House while the new 1st couple got ready for their balls). But in Texas, W got the ovation he deserved. He wasn't a perfect President, far from it, but he was genuine, he was himself, he stuck to his values, he did what he believed was right even when it wasn't hip or popular or Hollywood-approved. And the U.S. hasn't been hit again since September 11th. I'm grateful to him for that--for that safety people don't choose to recognize. Things may be hard in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the Taliban is no longer in power, and neither is Saddam Hussein. Call me crazy, but I think those are good things too. I'm glad Bush gets to be home, with people who recognize the good he did, with his wonderful classy wife, with his dogs and his girls and his ranch. He deserves it. Yesterday, his little speech in Texas was more sincere, heartfelt, and charming than anything I've heard out of Obama's mouth to date (granted, I'm bias). When discussing some of this future plans he said that he looked forward to a relaxing morning the next morning. "I'm going to wake up and make Laura a cup of coffee."

Regardless of what anyone says, I'll miss him.

Something about W makes me smile. Something about Obama makes me nervous. Only time will tell, and I pray our country is in good hands. I'll be bringing children into "Obama's America", so I pray he lives up to his hype. I pray my kids will know the same America I was a child in.

I sound negative. I'm not. A fresh breath of air just may be what America needs. I hope it is. I just hope everyone realizes, as I'm sure Obama does, that he has the crappiest job ahead of him. And its going to be a wild ride at first. The DOW fell 200 points as of yesterday afternoon, shortly after the inauguration. No party, no crowd, no crying Obama-maniacs can make up for that. I'm excited to see what Obama can do. Interested to see what the future holds.
~~~~~~~~~
But I will say, they are adorable. They are the best part of this deal.

4 comments:

beckster said...

AMEN! Everybody is saying it is Hope Day 1. Yeah, day one of me HOPING our country won't go to the dogs. My consolation is that Obama seems to be a family man, and that would be really good for us.

sam and kyrsten said...

wow! so well put. I really like bush and his sincerity too. i hope everything turns out how we all hope... thanks for that post although the other day was a historic one i too share your view on this.

Michael said...

Nice thoughts on Bush--he's been a scapegoat for issues that are much larger than one man--even a very important, influential man like POTUS. Who would ever want to be president, anyway?

Karen Thomas said...

wish i would have heard him talk. he was good and honest with the weight of the world on him. grateful for a prophet. he always has our back.
mom