Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekend of Favorites

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings . . .


Hey, y'all! My tummy seems to be on the mend and I have a check-up with the doc on Thursday, so things are looking increasingly sunny---even though it won't stop raining here in Knoxville. {I'll do a full Christmas report some day.} But right now I have to share some joy . . . January joy (its a rare thing---can you tell I'm not a huge fan of January?). But this weekend was stock full of some of my favorite things.

We went to the mall on Saturday night to do some shopping with all of Chris's Christmas returns money (I didn't have any! Boo!). At our mall we have a Godiva chocolate store. I'm not allowed to enter. On this occasion, however, we decided to get a Chocolixir. They are these cold chocolate drinks-not-quite-shakes. Like cold coffee minus the coffee plus a lot of chocolate. DE-LISH. Maybe even sinful? I adore them. I prefer the Dark Chocolate Decadence, while Chris likes the caramel something-or-other. Either way, it was a delightful treat to rev up our shopping motors.

On our mall outing we stopped by American Eagle. Chris was trying on some clothes, so I sat on the couches in the back. This is always painful for me because I'm a shoe-aholic and this is where all the shoes are. Well, I saw these boots (just like these, but black) and thought they were so cute. I've always liked the boot idea, but I'm not really a fan of the Ugg look. So these were perfect. There was one box sitting on the ground, which happened to be my size. I pulled them on and knew I was smitten. Price tag: $89.99. Sadness. But it looked like some of the winter shoes were on sale so we had the girl check. Sale price? $19.99. I've always prided myself on bargain shopping, but this time I think I outdid myself. So Chris got me some pretty boots--with his Christmas money. I proceeded to wear them with my pajamas the next 24 hours (it was Sunday! We didn't have anywhere to go).

Another successful stop was to the Victoria's Secret Semi-Annual sale. Now before you get your panties in a bunch, I adore this bi-yearly event for the amazing sales on the lotion: 6 for $30 instead of the usual $12 each. I stock up every January and June-ish. This year I went with something a little different, getting the Beauty Rush products instead of the normal stuff. Coconut Creme, Slice of Heaven, and Juiced Berry. I love that store--that sounds bad, but its so fun as long as you leave your husband on a bench outside and don't look at the pictures. I could have spent forever looking at all the products and sniffing scents and smearing sparkly lotion all over my arms. Chris always says I smell like 10 different scents when I come out. My response: Only 10?

After the mall and a good hand and arm washing (maybe I did smell strongly of coconuts and heaven), we made our way to Abuelo's for dinner. Have I ever mentioned Abuelos's? The place with life-altering enchiladas? It's amazing. I heart their enchiladas--one cheese, one guacamole, one spinach--with the sour cream sauce. Truly a special experience. Top it off with bottomless Dr. Pepper (I'm such a rebel) and it makes for a pretty good meal. If anyone feels like visiting Knoxville, a stop at Abuelo's will make it worth the trip. Hey, I'll even offer to go with you!

My favorite-filled evening was proceeded by a morning of another favorite: Man vs. Food. Now this show is real entertainment. Its on the Travel Channel and is about this guy who travels around the U.S. finding food challenges. Like, if you eat this hamburger that's bigger than your head you get a picture on our wall and a t-shirt. So he tries to complete all these challenges and while he's there he'll visit some local attractions and a few other restaurants other than the one where the challenge is. So its like "Man vs. Wild" meets "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."

One episode I watched on Saturday morning involved a 30 inch, 11-pound pizza that had 5 kinds of meat and had to be devoured by Adam and a partner within an hour. The slices on this pizza were bigger than a baby--not even kidding, they compared the two. My mom told me about an episode with a 72 oz steak and giant donuts (see right, the whole in that donut is as big as a regular-sized donut!). I also saw an episode with a hamburger that had 1 inch of meat, 3 eggs, 6 sliced of bacon, 4 pieces of cheddar--all sandwiched between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun. I don't know why I love this show. It really represents everything that's creating the American obesity epidemic. But at the same time--not. Because he says when he's not filming or challenging, he eats a very strict healthy diet, and he exercises every day. He would never recommend eating the food he eats as part of your regular diet. So there. If you ever get the chance, take a looky. Its my new favorite. Whenever I watch (Chris has never seen it! so sad!) I always spend the next two days starting my sentences "Oh, on Man vs. Food, there was this . . . ". Chris really enjoys it. Did I mention the Dagwood challenge? 4 pounds of deli sandwich plus fries . . . .
Somewhere in there we also managed to watch Twister (love that movie) and Cold Mountain (why to I love that movie?), and even had a good day at church where we sang my favorite hymn before the sacrament. And the whole time I was with my handsome hub. Good-O!
Last but not least (or maybe it was least--I had a pretty good weekend), the Golden Globes were on last night. I could care less about winners and losers, I just love the dresses. This year's Golden Globe winner according to moi: Hayden P. (n0t even going to try to spell her last name). I L-O-V-E her dress.



Alas, now I'm back at work. But at least I'm blogging again! Another positive point from a very positive weekend.

2 comments:

Michael said...

We watched a Man v. Food marathon the day after you left Poky. It's the best show ever, since it merges an element of competition with my other favorite show--"Triple D" (as Guy calls it). Glad you're a fellow fan!

Karen Thomas said...

cute boots. man v. food is awsome. anyone who can eat a sandwich that is as big as his head is number one in my book. besides. he is a yankees fan. wish we had vicky's secret in poky but we will have to be happy with the costco -- speaking of things that are as big as your head.