Friday, April 1, 2011

play ball.

My husband has many virtues. There are countless things I love about him. But one of the most endearing things about him is his love for baseball and the Chicago Cubs. He really gets as giddy as a little kid when baseball season starts up. I was making dinner tonight while he started the Cubs game on the DVR (it was not easy for him not to check the score while at school), and I kept hearing him say things like "This is so cool", "I'm so nervous", "I'm so excited", "I love baseball", "This is such a great game", "There is nothing like this".

He's right.
There is nothing like this.

Baseball's Opening Day has become
a sort of holiday in the C House.

Today we all wore our baseball love on our sleeves.
In a shocking turn of events, I found that Carly doesn't have a Cubs shirt that is her size. So I had her wear my pre-baby-will-never-fit-again Cubs shirt. Chris and I decided tonight that we'll have her wear it every Opening Day as she grows up. Oh, my heck, so cute.



We had banners and cake.
I know, look at my amazing cake skills.
That's rainbow sprinkles frosting.
Totally gave me pregnancy flashbacks.


For dinner we enjoyed the baseball staple of hot dogs.
Then we settled in to watch the Cubbies.
Carly, already a seasoned hockey fan, picked up on cheering for baseball in no time.


We won't talk about how my Twins are losing 3 to 10.
Or how the Cubs lost 3 to 6.
Hey, its only the first game out of 162.

Welcome back, baseball.
It was a long winter, and we missed you.

p.s.
Look at my two cuties.
Opening Day 2010 and 2011.
How fast they grow.

3 comments:

Taryn said...

Go cubbies! Maybe someday I will be as cute and creative on opening day as you. My hubby would so love it. But since April 1st will always be my birthday, I probably won't. A little selfish? Maybe they can just start playing on a different day next year :)

Kit said...

Oh my goodness! I love it!
The idea of her wearing the same Cubs shirt every year is so great!
And the cake looks fab! :)

Lanenga Family said...

Cute to see the difference of Carly in one year. What a cutie!