Tuesday, July 19, 2011

smells fishy.

Yesterday was probably one of the hardest days of my motherhood to date.
We're talking public screaming, multiple time outs, lots of crying on both our parts, and getting hit in the face . . . on purpose. I was wondering where in the world my sweet Carly went.

Well, I saw her today.
We went to the Library story time and she was so cute.
She wanted to participate but she is hesitant around other young kids.
It was fun to watch her gradually become more comfortable with herself and the situation. She danced with the other kids and did "itty bitty spider", and even crawled over and sat on the rug with the other kids . . . for about 10 seconds and then came back to me. But I love watching her expand her horizons and experience new things and learn to be more sure of herself.
She is such a kid.
A day like today is what a mom needs after a day like yesterday.
Because if we had had another day like yesterday, Carly would be on sale on Craigslist.

Anywho.
Tonight we sent Carly up to our friends' house and went and saw HP 7.2. I knew this movie would be a lot of the Battle of Hogwarts, so I didn't expect to like it as much as the previous couple. And I didn't. But it was still really really good and it was fun to go to a movie with the hubs.

Then we came home and I hadn't had real food all day and I was starving so I decided to whip up one of my new favorite meals. In fact I like this new meal so much, I thought I'd share (I hope you didn't just faint in shock that I actually cooked food . . . and that I'm sharing a recipe. I know, this is big).

You see, I really like fish. But I never eat it for two reasons: 1) Chris HATES fish. I mean hates it. On his mission he told people he was allergic to it so he wouldn't have to choke it down. Because he probably would have thrown up if he tried. 2) I just don't know how to make it.

My friend gave me this recipe, and now I feel like I can make fish!
Tonight was my second go-around, and now I'm officially obsessed with tilapia.

Here we go:

Oh, this recipe makes a lot. Half it for 2-3 people. Quarter if for a single serving (like me).

2 lbs tilapia
1/2 c Parmesan
1/4 c softened butter (not melted)
3 tbsp mayo
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp seasoning salt

Mix ingredients together (except fish, or course). Line baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray. Broil about 3 min (according to recipe . . . when I do just one piece 2 min is plenty). Flip and broil 3 min. Top fish with mixture and broil 2 more minutes or until topping is golden brown.

Just watch your fish and make sure not to overcook it. I also realized I do it wrong. I top it when its still raw, flip it and coat the other side too. So I coat it on both sides. Extra butter can't be a bad thing. Do it however you want. Its all good.

Its actually really easy and really quick. I get frozen tilapia and thaw it in luke warm water. It only takes a few minutes to thaw. And I eat mine with Zataran's Yellow Rice, though I bet Rice Pilaf would be good if you're the wheat-eating type.

So go make some fish.
Its good for you.
Especially when coated in butter and mayo.

[meant to take a picture. but its so good, your plate will look like this in no time.]


3 comments:

The Apron Gal said...

sounds yummy! we did some similar to that with trout! is it bad that I want to hear more about the really bad day of motherhood? you should share someday...maybe it would be cathartic?

Cami and Juan said...

I'm glad you had a better day. Amelia has been playing with some 2 year olds lately and it is making me nervous to have a 2 year old soon enough!

Jonathan and Sarah said...

Kate has started to hit me when she is angry too! I totally feel your pain...nothing makes me more angry than my daughter. But then the unfair part is you can never be angry long cause like you said they turn around and are so sweet that you cant love anything more! *sigh*