Sunday, November 6, 2011

behind door number two:

A new car!

I've mentioned before we are blessed to be surrounded by incredibly generous people. Four of those people happen to be our parents. You see, we don't actually own a car. The beautiful little golden Honda Civic I've been driving around for the past few years belongs to my parents and is on perma-loan while we're in school. Well after our big twin surprise, we realized three car seats wouldn't fit in the back of a Civic and we weren't sure what we were going to do.

On Halloween, I got a phone call from my dad.
"Are you up for a visitor?" he asked.
"What?" I replied.
"I'm on my way!" he said.
"On your way where?" I asked.

My dad happens to drive a Honda Accord (at one point after my little brother left for his mission we had 5 Hondas for 4 drivers), which has a more spacious back seat. He offered to trade us cars so we could squeeze all three kids into one car. And, after checking his schedule and considering the impending winter, he decided that right then was the best time to come. So he hopped in the car and drove. From Idaho to Michigan. In a day and a half. Twelve hours one day, thirteen the next. Just to give us his car.

He came Tuesday night, spent the night, played with Carly Wednesday morning, and was off again by lunch time. He got home two days later, just before the first snowfall out west. Turned out it was perfect timing.


We sure liked having Papak here, even if it was only for a few short waking hours. I will admit making the actual switch was kind of emotional for me and I may or may not have cried. That Civic was such a good little car. I've grown attached to it. It came with us when we moved from Utah to Tennessee, then from Tennessee to Michigan. It took Carly home from the hospital, and Carly had taken to calling it "Carly's car". When my dad drove away Carly said "Papak taking Carly's car?" And I cried a little more.

But my new ride is pretty classy, I'm not going to lie. I feel a little self-conscious driving it. It is 5 years newer than the Civic, and has all sorts of upgrades like a jack for my iPod and a heater that works really well. And Carly has even become fond of it: "my new car!" she says, and gives it hugs.

I am lucky to have such an incredibly selfless and generous, though slightly insane, man as my father. We would be nowhere without his (and my mom's) generosity (literally, like we wouldn't have a car so we wouldn't go anywhere). Thank you, thank you dad! We love you and we're glad we got to see you. Carly was asking "where Papak go?" all day.

Our twins are lucky. Not because they are coming to me, but because they are coming to a fun daddy, a wild big sister, and a whole network of family ready to spoil them rotten.

Speaking of the twins . . . Wednesday is the big day. What do you think: two girls, two boys, or one of each? Cast your vote. I think its two girls, but would kind of like one of each. But I was also convinced Carly was a boy, just for a point of reference. Chris thinks it is a girl and a boy. Random people like to guess two boys, but I think that is because we already have a girl. I can't wait to find out. Like really can't wait.

Happy Sunday! Does anyone hate Daylight Saving as much as me? This getting dark at 5 is lame.

That's all.
xoxo.

10 comments:

Golden Girl said...

That is awesome, your Dad is great! I know I want Novalie to stop growing, but I can't wait to do something like that for her one day. Anyone having twins deserves to be surrounded by such giving, wonderful people and HF knows that and is looking out for you.

My guess is one boy/one girl, 2nd two girls, last two boys.

Good luck on Wednesday, can't wait to hear what you are having!

Becky said...

That's awesome! I just love your dad. My vote is 1 and 1, but I'll take whatever you give us! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Laura and family said...

One of each! :)

Rebecca said...

Can't wait to hear either! Then we can start to plan your shower!

Rebecca said...

OH AND YOUR DAD ROCKS!

Cami and Juan said...

2 girls. And what a relief having the car problem solved so early. One less thing to worry about.

Taryn said...

I am so excited for you to find out!!! I am going to say two boys just because before I got pregnant with Eliza and thought of the possibility of having twins after Stella I always thought I would want them to both be boys. Nice logic, right? So great that you guys can stop worrying about the care situation and that you have such an awesome support system. What would we do without our hero parents and in-laws?!

Laura said...

What a wonderful Dad! That is so great and what a relief for you guys I am sure!

I can't wait for you to find out! I am guessing 1 of each. Two girls would be fun too. I wish you guys lived here still. Miss you!

Ashley said...

I HATE daylight savings!

What a sweet father! How fun.

Alixa said...

Dude, I have been checking your blog like every hour to see what you are having...