Monday, September 8, 2008

How Do You Like Them Boys?

So you know on the movie Top Gun when all the men are playing sand volleyball with their shirts off? And that 80s song is playing that says "Playing with the Boys"? Well, my whole life, until about 6 months ago when Chris set me straight, I thought it said "How do you like them boys?". Neat, huh? I should actually do a post about mistaken song lyrics (I think I will, no one steal that idea because I'm so sure its never been done before). Anyway, the point is "How do like them boys" came to my head yesterday as I watched the Colts play the Bears (that's football). Sadly the Colts lost, but the thing is, I heart their quarterback Peyton Manning.

In fact, I heart all sports (and by "heart", I mean "love" but love is a pretty intense emotion in real life so I don't really drop that word left and right, ya know?). Some sports I prefer at their peak--you know, March Madness, NBA playoffs, the Olympics, the World Cup--but I don't think I've ever met a sport I didn't like. And since I appreciate sports so much, I really appreciate those who excel at those sports because its insane that anyone is ever as good at a sport as some people are . . . . which brings me to my boyfriends.

(I just realized this post is going to be quite complicated and the pictures won't show up until the end; sorry about that). 'My boyfriends' are people who are kind of cute in their own little way and seem nice and sweet and are really talented (usually) who if I wasn't Mormon and I hadn't found the love of my life when I was 19 then maybe I'd have a crush on them or maybe not--maybe I'd just want to be friends and meet them for dinner once in a while. These are "my boyfriends" (they also come in the female variety, which are called my "BFFs"). Anyway, the title "my boyfriend" originated from my mother, and has been applied to everyone from a 16-year-old at Highland High School to a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (although, we try to erase from our memories anyone ever saying "my boyfriend, Jeffrey R. Holland" because I realize it is totally inappropriate and please don't judge me on this--though I was not the one who said it). Here's an example: "My boyfriend Peyton Manning plays quarterback for the Colts". Now this may seem strange, but Chris understands where I'm coming from and that they aren't actually my boyfriends (that could be confusing), and he knows he's my No. 1 boyfriend anyway, so its all good. He does put up with my Christian Bale, after all.

My boyfriend Peyton ManningMy boyfriend Roger Federer

My boyfriend Sidney CrosbyMy FORMER boyfriend Rich Hill. He was a Cubs ace last year but totally blew it this year and got moved down to Triple A. So, naturally, I had to break it off.

My FORMER boyfriend Michael Phelps. I don't go to dinner with boys who touch scantily-clad waitresses' bottoms. Shame on you, Michael. But we can stay friends because you do have 14 gold medals.

Wow. . . that was really much longer than it needed to be. There you go. Now you know me that much better -- for better or for worse.

So, how do you like them boys?

4 comments:

Melissa The Beautiful said...

I like them! And that stinks about Michael Phelps- he seemed so cute and wholesome!

Lauren Davison said...

Pah. I have never actually been a Michael Phelps fan. Bravo for making America look good, but other than that... Psh. But--I MESS UP SONG LYRICS ALL THE TIME. And then Kirby gets a good chuckle.

Karen Thomas said...

thanks for ratting me out daughter. i enjoyed your boyfriend photo album. you are right, chris is still the best. my new BFF is serena williams.

Caroline said...

Erin you are hilarious. Love it!