Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Not-So-Great Smokey Mountains

People say funny things here sometimes.
Things my brain doesn't compute.
The other day at Church somebody said in their talk how lucky we were to be "only" 3 hours away from a temple. Only 3 hours. He's right, I know. 3 hours is nothing compared to 3 days. But I like my temples 5 minutes up the road.
Then a guy at work said the Tennessee vs. Wyoming football tickets were only $40. Only $40? For the Wyoming game? I guess Florida tickets went for $80 out of the ticket office, but good ol' BYU tickets only go for $15--and BYU actually puts on a show!
But my absolute favorite is when people say "the mountains". The City of Knoxville is at the foot of the Great Smokey Mountains. People always say things like drive toward "the mountains"; a beautiful view of "the mountains"; we went camping in "the mountains". But here's the deal: I cannot find the mountains. You can't see them from the ground. You can't even see them from the 5th floor of my office building. Supposedly they are toward the east, but I've never actually seen the Great Smokey Mountains. And its hilarious, because every time someone says "the mountains", I just want to say: "People, I think you have to be able to see mountains in order for them to be considered mountains. These are mountains":

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a completely unrelated topic:
A big shout-out to Carlos Zambrano,
who pitched a no-hitter for the Cubbies on Sunday night.
We watched the last inning and I though I was going to throw up I was so nervous for him.
It was awesome.
The Cubbies are now 8 games up in the Central Division.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, a friend of mine brought this up on her blog and you should check it out because she hits the nail right on the head. But here's my two cents on this one.
Lindsey Lohan recently posted on her blog her feelings about Sarah Palin. That's great, whatever. At some point I'll probably get around to doing a political post of my own, if I ever find the energy. But I hate when celebrities get high and mighty on political issues. The worst part about it is that for some reason lots of people care about what Lindsey Lohan or Oprah or Ben Affleck has to say about politics. And voting for someone because Lindsey Lohan likes them is a bad sign, people.
Anyway, just one expert from Lindsey's inspiring words:
"Is our country so divided that the Republicans' best hope is a narrow minded, media obsessed homophobe?"
Um, where do I begin?
Conservative does not equal narrow-minded.
Conservative does not equal homophobe.
Conservatives see things one way.
Liberals see things another way.
That's the point.
And "media-obsessed"? Wasn't that Barack Obama I just saw on the cover of Rolling Stone?
Honestly, the last person who should be giving political advice is this girl: That was kind of harsh, I know.
Maybe that's why I've been avoiding my Election 2008 post; I get a tad passionate.
Anyway--
Utahns, say hi to the mountains for me.
Go Cubbies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on mountains, the Cubs, and politics! Great post & I love that picture of Lindsay, hehe.

sam and kyrsten said...

i love reading your blog! you write so entertainingly!:) i completely agree with the entire lindsey lohan coments! hope all is well!

Lauren Davison said...

"HELLO MOUNTAINS!!!" :)