Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Domestic Dispute

Last night as Chris and I arrived home, we saw two of the missionaries from our ward walking down the street. After a few minutes of talking and checking if they needed a ride, we continued home. Somewhere the conversation led to Chris joking, "You have a crush on Elder X". What? "Yeah, you said you thought he was a cutie." Yeah, I said, like a 4-year-old is a cutie. I don't have a crush on a 4-year-old.

But here's the dispute: he said "No, its like on the song Santa Baby. She says Santa Cutie and she's in love with him."

Wait.

You think the girl singing Santa Baby is in love with Santa Claus? Seriously?

Our argument proceeded and by the time we reached our apartment our voices were raised (in a loving way, not genuinely angry). Chris's side was that the girl was in love with Santa and was singing like that because she loved him and wanted him ("She wants him to bring her a ring!" he says). My side was that the girl was just using her feminine charm to get what she wanted. Because Santa determines who gets what, she was using womanly wiles to win him over to get presents out of him ("She doesn't want a ring from him! She just wants a ring. Girls like rings!" is my reply.)

So we looked up the lyrics for any clues, and each line we could argue our way.

So how do you view the song? Is the girl in love with Santa? Or is she charming him to get presents? Please vote and resolve this domestic dispute.

7 comments:

Michael said...

I would have liked to be there for that debate. The result: I think you're both right. The ambiguity is part of the charm of the song. So as to not be a fence sitter, though--I side with Chris. =)

beckster said...

No way. That shameless hussy didn't love Santa. She was a greedy no good Christmas ruining morally decrepit bimbo. Nobody sings like that when they're in love. Nobody.

Amy Jane said...

Hmmm. I always thought she had a crush on Santa! But now I'm doubting myself!

Caroline said...

This is hilarious. Too bad you guys don't still live here, I once did a dance to this song (and it was videorecorded) and thus am very familiar with the song.

I agree 100% with Erin, she is justs using her womanly charm to get what she wants. Come on ladies, we've all done it!

BTW: Congrats!

Casey and Kristi said...

Hey this is Kristi Payne (Thompson). I don't know if you will remeber me but I was friends with your brother and just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! Babies are so fun, it is a wonderful thing to be a parent!! BTW, for your debate, I think she was just in it for the presents!!

Ashley said...

Santa-Baby-girl is definitely trying to get presents, but not in love. The other night while watching a show with my hubby I almost told him I thought the guy on it had a cute laugh, then I thought,hmm maybe not a good idea. :)

Hey congratulations on your pregnancy! Sounds like an unexpected joy!

Brad said...

Maybe she is in love with his like the song I saw mommy kissing santa claus, as in santa is also her valentine, easter bunny, etc, etc.