Wednesday, February 11, 2009

First Trimester Wrap Up

Warning: I'm getting into all the guts and glory of first-trimesterness. So if you don't want to read it, don't read it. I won't mind. Really.

A while back I happened to think the first trimester ended at 12 weeks. So when I was at 11 1/2 weeks, I was really disappointed to find out it wasn't really until 14 weeks. Surprise! But I made it. Today I made it. And my plan that the nausea would stop the day the first trimester ended . . . not working. But I am feeling better. I even cooked with Chris last night; a huge step for someone who has been unable to smell/look at cooking food for quite a while.

A friend of ours wrote on his blog that since his wife has been pregnant, he now better understands the brilliance in the Lord's requirement that couples be married before having children. Women are so sick/crazy during pregnancy, the man would have a hard time sticking around without some sort of legal or eternal binding contract. He was joking, of course, but it still rings a little true . . . .

The first trimester was great while it lasted. I'm grateful I get to have a first trimester. I know I'm lucky. But honestly, I'm not too sad to say hello to trimester number 2.

Least favorite first-trimester symptom: Excess saliva. Yes, for me its worse then throwing up. From about 7-9 weeks I produced so much saliva, it wasn't even funny. I realized it was making the nausea worse every time I swallowed it, so you know what I did? I started spitting it into a cup. Soon I had "spit cups" all over the house, and could fill said spit cup in one or two episodes of 30 Rock (we watched a ton of that over Christmas break). My little brother said he never wanted to have kids if his wife had to have a spit cup. It was nasty. And I'm grateful the spit cup phase was relatively short-lived.

Tales of Nausea: Nausea started around 6 weeks and continues til right now. I don't get the phrase "morning sickness". That's a joke. Its really "all day, every day sickness". The vomiting lasted from 6 weeks to this past Friday (I say lasted because I'm praying its over). But honestly, I could take that. I only cried while throwing up twice. Pretty good. And every time I lost it, my dear husband would come stand by me or sit and rub my back and tell me how healthy and strong our baby was. The least good (nothing was ever bad, I tell myself, I'm having a baby, after all) was on our flight to Idaho for Christmas. I was 7 weeks. And I threw up 7 times. And I hated flying before that experience.

The best part: You can feel something going on. Little aches and pains tell you someone is growing inside of you, making room for him/her self. "Things" are fuller. Feet get sore faster. Bed time is moved up to 8:00. Chicken looks gross. GF Macaroni and cheese and GF pancakes are heaven. And all the sudden your pants are tight because your abdomen is just a little rounder between the hips than it used to be. All signs point to something special.

The bestest part: Hearing baby's heartbeat for the first time. And the second time.



FAQ

Exact due date? August 12

Do you secretly wish for a boy or a girl? You know we'll be happy with either. When we first found out, I was convinced it was a boy. I was excited about that. Chris is the oldest in his family and I have older brothers. Older brothers are a great way to go. But lately, I've been daydreaming about a little girl. I have her nursery all planned out in my head. So it switches back and forth. And I'll take either;-). We find out if he/she is a he or a she on March 18!

How have you been feeling? Wonderful. And horrible. But that's the way it goes, right?

Have you thought about names? Extensively. Since we first got married, really. And much more in the X months we've been trying to get pregnant. Neither of us really want to officially name him/her until we see the little face. Until we see if our names match the little spirit that just joined us. That's a personal preference. And the chances of sharing any of my most favorite names is probably slim. I don't really want any input (sorry). If my baby is named Ralph, no one is going to say "I don't really like that name you gave your baby". But if I say I might name my baby Ralph, I'll get all sorts of feedback, good and bad. So we'll see. Maybe we'll put some names out there, maybe not. We do have one boy name and one girl name that we really really love. And have since the beginning. So I think the chances of not using those two are slim, but we'll see.

Was it on purpose? Yes. I'll spare you those details, ha ha. But I will say, even though baby showed up later (though, really not that late, I'm not complaining about that) than we originally wanted, the timing was perfect. I can't imagine if I had been pregnant and trying to finish classes this last spring. Or trying to make the move to Tennessee. Or having no job and no insurance. Everything that has happened has worked out just right, and has been a blessing. I'm grateful for the Lord's timing.

So there you have it. We are so excited. But I'm actually so scared. Confessions: I have never changed a diaper. I have never held a child younger than 3 or 4 months. I've never given a baby a bottle or bath. I have zero experience for this job I applied for. Hopefully the on-the-job training will go well! Anyway . . .

Welcome, second trimester. I've been eagerly waiting for your arrival.

9 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

How fun! Morning sickness while flying is the worst. But kind of funny. Did you ever have to try and vomit in an automatic flushing toilet? hahaha. That's a joke. You move your head at all and it flushes, and then water is spraying out of the toilet into your face... (because they are power-flush toilets, naturally). Ah. Good times. :) I hope it is over! We're excited for you!

Michael said...

First, Michael works great as either a girl's name or a boy's name. Second, I will settle for a middle name. Third, it's smart of you to not take any input on the matter.

Keep up the good work/survival. It's an exciting little miracle.

Stacey said...

Ah! Being pregnant is such a joy. It sounds like everything is great and your husband is awesome. That will make the biggest difference. Enjoy the 2nd trimester, it was the best for me. And as for the on the job training...you will be great. Things just work themselves out.Before you know it, you are feeding a baby, watching tv, finishing homework, and talking on the phone all at once. You will become a professional mom. Congrats again, its fun reading your updates!

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...

yaaaaaaaaaay for chris and erin's baby! i'm excited!
ps i now have a blog. it's way exciting....hah.

Ashley said...

That doesn't sound like much fun. I had a neighbor who had to do the spit thing pretty much her entire pregnancy; she had a really bad one. I hope things start looking up in your new trimester. It's so worth it!

Unknown said...

I figured out why they call it morning sickness. It's because it's during the "morning" of your pregnancy. So there you have it. I'm glad it's hopefully over! And may I reiterate that I'm happy for you guys? Cause I am!

Karen Thomas said...

thank heavens that spit cup thing is over. now you can come home again. hee hee. xoxox mom

TD Quong said...

Wow honey, just wow. You make me thrilled and terrified of getting pregnant. But don't worry, most pregnant stories do. Hopefull you're feeling better!