Friday, May 15, 2009

A Little About Us, Currently

A small review of the super-exciting goings-on of Our Family:
~
I have a doctor's appointment this morning where I'll get my glucose test. I don't foresee any problems with gestational diabetes (knock on wood) so my main concern is throwing up when I drink the juice. We'll see how that goes. This will also be my first appointment without Chris. Sad. Chris and my doctor have a small bromance going on, and always discuss golfing, working out, VO2 Max (like I know what that is), and heart rates. Its hilarious. But I enjoy it because they always get going when we're listening to Lil's heart beat and the doctor gets distracted and I get to listen for that much longer. I've never loved going to the doctor as much as I do now. That's a good thing, I suppose, because I start going every other week from now on. Woo-hoo.
~
My work started flex time last week. I work 4 10 hour days, and get Wednesdays off. I'm loving it. I love working 2, off 1, work 2, weekend. Its been awesome, even if being at work at 7 am is a little crazy. One perk is NO traffic that early in the morning. My commute has been cut in half. Also, I get a premium parking spot every day. And for me, really, being at work from 8-5 is pretty much all day anyway, so 7-5:30 isn't really any different--and now I get an extra day off.
~
This past Wednesday Chris and I saw a matinee of Star Trek. He has been waiting patiently the whole 5 days its been released to go see it. He filled me in on who all the characters were. I've got to tell you, I've never watched one second of Star Trek in my life--and I loved this movie. The first 10 minutes I was bawling (if you see it, you may know why--blame Lil'), and the rest of the movie was very witty and entertaining. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Chris and I never see movies in the theater ($7 for a matinee--really?) so it was a really nice treat. And I even splurged and got a Cherry Coke (whoops) but it was mostly to treat my headache and calm my ever-present nausea. Next up: Angels and Demons. Another splurge, but Chris picked Star Trek, so I pick Angels and Demons. I'm currently trying to finish the book again, because I insist on finishing before I see the movie. I'm thinking it may have been a mistake. The book is so good, the movie so soon afterwards may be a disappointment.
~
Chris is out of school. His summer is going to be filled with teaching a swim class, possibly finding a part-time job, and lots of research. I think he'll be published twice by the end of the summer or beginning of fall. Not too shabby. Good things to get experience, especially as we look into PhD schools. He is also getting trained for his new fancy shmancy assistantship (he'll be in charge of the UT Center for Physical Activity and Health) that he starts in August (about exactly when Lil is set to arrive--did I ever mention his school starts 1 week after my due date?). He got straight A's this semester and is totally thriving. I'm so proud of him and so grateful for everything he does for our little family. Yesterday I came home to a repaired car (and a large bill---nice), a clean home, and corn chowder. He's my superhero.
~
We are going to Cincinnati next weekend for Memorial Day. We'll be staying with family friends and meeting up with Chris's family. We cannot wait. We keep saying we're in serious need of a vacay, which is funny because I spent 8 days at home not even a month ago.
~
While in Cincinnati we will be going to Ikea. Yesterday I somewhat drastically changed my plans for Lil's room, so I've gone from wanting to spend about $50 at Ikea to wanting to spend about $300. Wanting being the key word.
~
Finally, tomorrow Chris and I have a "Day of Festivities" planned. Or should I say scheduled? We don't have anything planned, per se, but we're hoping for a fun-filled day of excitement. If it would stop raining for more than 12 hours, I would insist upon a trip to the pool. Alas, in Tennessee April showers only brought May thunderstorms. We'll see what we can come up with. Smoothie King may be involved.
~
My little brother's baseball team is in the Idaho state tournament this weekend--Go Rams.
~
I heart weekends.
I seriously live for them.
Enjoy yours.

2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

4 10's, that would be so nice. I thrive on weekends too, but having a day off in the middle would be heavenly! Juan and I also adored Star Trek, and neither of us had every seen or knew a thing about it.

beckster said...

I AM SO FLIPPIN EXCITED FOR NEXT WEEEKEND!!!! that's all.