Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Memorable Memorial Weekend

There is something shockingly refreshing about getting out of town on a long weekend.
This weekend was no exception.
~
We headed to Cincinnati for a getaway. We stayed with the R family, who are good friend's of Chris's family from their years in Cincinnati. Chris mom and 2 sisters were there too and we had quite the party. (I was a horrible picture taker, so the ones on here are the best I had).
~
Our time in Cincinnati was filled with:

Uno's gluten-free pizza

Night at the Museum 1 (ok) and 2 (no comment)

Ikea craziness

Burgers and brats

GF sugarsnaps . . . I mean snicker doodles

Skyline

Really hot sacrament meeting

Way too much food and the S house

Valkyrie

Family

Friends

Fun

~

It went by way too quickly.

~

Our trip to Ikea was, happily, a mighty success. Lil' got a crib, bookshelf, and table. The bookshelf was something I really loved, but online it was $90--a ways out of our price range. As we were walking into the store, there it was, on sale for 50% off thanks to Memorial Day weekend. So it came home with us after all.

Chris pushing our cart.

Me and THE ladybug. I saw this online too and thought it was so cute. It has a mirror on the bottom. Going into Ikea I told Chris: "Everything is negotiable, except the ladybug."

Becky watching over our crib and bookshelf.

It was truly remarkable that it all fit into our Honda Civic.


Jenny with a cart-full of grown-up stuff for her new college apartment.

We even saw the Mer. Our good friend Matt (who's from Cincinnati but I met him at BYU) called us and said "Hey, I'm in town!" Which town? We weren't sure considering he had mentioned driving through Knoxville. Turned out he was in Cincinnati and we were able to see him. Although we still didn't play kubb.
Sadly our time in Cincinnati ended and we headed home. Upon our arrival back home, however, we had a memorial day BBQ to attend with a few families from our ward. It was, once again, quite the party. Our friend, Nephi, had been smoking pork since 8 am Monday morning and by 5:45 it was like butter. As if I hadn't eaten enough all weekend, I stuffed myself at the BBQ. I also admired their almost 2 month old baby girl (from a distance--stupid cold) and once again became exhilarated/terrified/overwhelmed by the prospect of having one of those in our house.

~

Monday night Chris had a make-up softball game that was originally canceled because of rain. Unfortunately, it was once again canceled due to rain. This, however, gave us the opportunity to open up our crib and take a look.


Chris's job today is to figure out how to put it together.


I can't wait to see it all set up.



(Thank you to the anonymous grandparental donors of both our crib and our crib bedding. We love them both are are so thankful for your generosity!)

~

Our getaway was excellent.

The R's said we could come back any time we wanted to.

I'm not so sure they should have made that offer.

4 comments:

beckster said...

YAY!!!! I'm so happy the crib didn't warp from being in the car all weekend. It was a fun time, wasn't it? Let's do it again in, oh, say, July. Seriously, tho, thanks for coming up and visiting. It was awesome!!!

Karen Thomas said...

i can't wait to see that new crib with a cute baby girl in it.

Mama Rahlf said...

Yes we should have made that offer!
You can come anytime--the door is always open (or I'll tell you where we hide the key!)

Casey and Kristi said...

Oh it is so fun getting all the stuff ready!!! I loved being pregnant so I love reading your posts about it!!! And, for a response for one of your older posts, I would not get induced. Olivia was 9 days late and it worked out fine. I did not want to be induced and then have to have a C-section. Yeah, it got uncomfortable but I had one of the easiest labors I have heard of and I think it was because I waited until she was ready!! So there, that is my opinion on the matter!!