Monday, June 1, 2009

Dream Vacation - Chris

Hey everyone... Erin and I often talk about where we would like to travel to when and if we ever have a bit of extra money that isn't going towards bills, education, savings, tithing, etc. Its one of our favorite things to imagine since we would both love to travel and see the natural wonders created by divine power. Since Erin has never had the chance to vist foreign land, I feel it my responsibility to take her somewhere, someday. She concurs and has made me swear my life away that I will follow through with this. So that being said, these are my top 5 dream vacations that I would like to someday visit (in no particular order) with my wonderful wife...
1) Indiana/Idaho
Ok, I know this seems kinda weak to be on my dream vacation list, but there is no better place to be than Indiana or Idaho (our families being there might have something to do with it). Even though it has its "own beauty", Indiana is and probably always will feel like home to me . When we first moved there, I used to hate the fields and never-ending flat landscape. Its funny how these fields now bring a great deal of joy to my heart.
Before I met Erin, I had a hard time believing that two places can feel like home. When we were at BYU, Pocatello was our escape from school and other responsibilities. That's probably how it will always feel to me. Very quickly Pocatello has become my other home and like Indiana, it has this ability of eliminating stress. Its one of my favorite places in the world.

2) Ireland






My ancestors came from Ireland and I've always wanted to go back and see it. Green has always been my favorite color and so naturally I love how everything seems to be green! After seeing pictures like this how could anyone not want to go there?? Since I know Erin also really wants to go visit the British Isles, Ireland makes the list.

3)Pacific Northwest




These shots are of outside Vancouver, and the Washington and Oregon coasts. Probably most likely to be in Erin's and my budget in the next 5 years, I would imagine that few places would match the peace of this place. I'm a sucker for beaches, but particularly cool, mistly beaches. There's something remarkable in the calm but raw beauty of a rocky coastline covered with pine trees. Also, as we all know, this part of the world receives a good deal of rain... now one of the strange things about me is that I really like overcasts and rain. Its not that I dislike sunshine (MATT), but well, not half as much as an overcast. For some reason, I love to take a walk on cool cloudy days... especially if the landscape looks like this!
4) The Carribean





There is certainly plenty of sunshine here, but that's great if the water is that amazing aqua color! The first two pics are of Barbados and St. Vincint Island. I'm not sure where this third is from, but isn't it amazing? This would be my ultimate fun vacation... Erin and I are both very fair skinned, so we would get sunburned for sure, but (as previously mentioned) I love beaches and so the sunburn would be worth it!

5) Switzerland








This vacation would probably cost the most, but it would have special meaning to me. On my mission I went to Southern Germany and Austria and was able to see a few places like this, but I was never able to go to Switzerland, where I hear the entire country is actually this pretty. The towns nestled against the mountains.... the valleys and lakes..... even the cities (like the picture above of Bern) are breathtaking. To go back to a place so similar to where I worked, would be amazing AND since I know the language we are all set. From what everyone over there says, Switzerland trumps all. It's hard to not believe them after seeing landscapes like these.
So there you have it! We will get to these places someday and you are welcome to come with! Where would you all like to visit???

2 comments:

beckster said...

I'm coming with you and then I'm going to Italy. I dunno, I just want to see it...

MER said...

Mostly good choices, sir. Minus the sunny beaches... I would add Iceland and Sweden.