Saturday, April 17, 2010

saturday lunch.

I don't think I ever mentioned the reason for our Indiana visit.
Wasn't sure I was allowed to.
After 9 years, Chris's dad is being released as stake president in the morning.
Elder Richard G Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is in town to make the change.
~

~We were about to leave for Target when my mother-in-law got a phone call. All decisions were made, and Elder Scott needed some lunch. Maybe they could come by for some sandwiches? The mad rush to clean began. About 10 minutes before their estimated arrival, Carly puked her whole lunch all over her aunt Sarah. Down her shirt, all over her hair. Sarah ran to the shower. Carly has impeccable timing.

~Elder Scott arrived. What is it about the Twelve that gives a person chills? I shook Elder Christofferson's hand at my BYU graduation, but its different to stand and watch the man eat a sandwich and "apple pieces" (as he called them) in your in-law's kitchen. When he met me and Carly, he complimented her big beautiful blue eyes. She gets that a lot. But you know its extra cool coming from him.

~And how about Elder Scott was born in my home town. When he found out I was from Pocatello, he asked if I knew some monument in a park and said he was born just up the street from there. I told him I knew what he was talking about. I really didn't. Think he knew I was fibbing to carry on conversation? Probably. Oops. But I told him that was "really cool". Felt pretty dumb telling an apostle anything was "cool". He called Indiana's blossoms "exquisite". I will have to work on my diction.

~He asked if anyone knew any good jokes. I think its bad when an apostle asks that and you search your brain for a clean joke. Oops. But he told a few funny ones. Religious-based ones, which was ironic. But he mentioned how important a good sense of humor is, and that he thinks more members of the church need to appreciate a good sense of humor. He said the Twelve have a great "brotherhood" and a sense of humor is part of that. I can imagine the 15 of those men can be quite hilarious. I always get some good laughs at General Conference. I think I'd like to hang out with them.

~Remember how I mentioned Carly's impeccable timing? As Elder Scott was eating, Carly was standing holding on to one of the chairs at the kitchen table. Suddenly she started grunting loudly and her face went bright red. Yes, the child was pushing. After several loud grunts and pushes, her face went regular-shade again and she sighed comfortably. Yes, my child went poo in front of an apostle. An eating apostle, no less. Thankfully he didn't seem to notice. I was slightly horrified when I could smell it within seconds. I whisked her away and changed her, returning just in time to bid them farewell.

~So that was our lunch today. The adult session today was really spectacular. Strangely, it was my first time hearing my father-in-law speak in church. He spoke over Christmas, but I got stuck in a nursing room fiasco with Carly and didn't hear a word. But it was great. He is great. And Elder Scott wasn't too shabby either. I am very blessed to be a member of this church. Tonight the other GA in town called us the "luckiest people on earth" because we know we have living prophets to guide us. I second that.

~xoxoxo.

9 comments:

...... said...

Amen Sister

sam and kyrsten said...

this is so funny to me. im happy this series of events took place. im sure it was so amazing to have him at your in laws home. so lucky!

Lauren Davison said...

Haha! Oh, how I love it! :)

Karen Thomas said...

you should have told elder scott the one about the grasshopper named doug.

Karen Thomas said...

Thanks for the Carly fix! jt

Taryn said...

Laughing pretty hard about Carly's gift to Elder Scott :) At least we know she has a healthy set of bowels!

The Fishers said...

HOW AWESOME!!! I would LOVE to meet an apostle. You're so lucky!

Lanenga Family said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Laura said...

That is sooo funny! What a cool weekend! Glad you guys got home safely. Also glad I got some Carly love last night :) AND thank you so much for the baby stuff. Especially the awesome blanket. I love it. You rock!