Wednesday, April 14, 2010

train of thought.

Last night Carly woke up around midnight screaming-crying. She usually wakes up and wines a bit, but last night was hardcore crying. I went in to check on her and she was sitting up in the dark, cheeks wet with tears. Poor baby, must have had a scary dream. I know when I have a bad dream, I have to hug Chris and sing hymns in my head to fall back asleep. Poor baby, couldn't do that for herself, so I rocked her and held her tight and sang her primary songs. The girl was wide awake. She would grip tightly on my arm and suck her thumb and stare up at my face. And every time we tried to put her back down she would scream. She just needed to be held. At 2:30 she finally fell asleep in my arms. She hasn't done that in a long time. It was a sweet (albeit slightly frustrating, I'll confess) night. She is the sweetest thing.

Speaking of sweet things . . .

NHL playoffs start tonight. Everybody with me now . . . "Go Pens Go!" Pretty sure I'm the only person south of Chicago who really cares (oh, and Chris, too), and I wish we actually got the games on TV. I think we will be getter off in Michigan when it comes to that! But I'm voting for the same result as last year. Isn't he too cute? . . .

Speaking of too cute . . .

Just when I thought Carly couldn't get any cuter, she goes and fits into the jean shorts I got a while ago. She was so insanely cute in her little shorts, riding in the Walmart cart flailing her arms around so happily. She looked like the Queen waving to her adoring subjects. The Queen in some dang cute jean shorts. (ps. I made that onesie. amazing, aren't I?). She is just too yummy.

Speaking of yummy . . .

When I was in Idaho my dad made me an asparagus omelet. Pretty much changed my life. I have one every other day now. So delicious. One egg, a sprinkling of cheese, 3 stalks of asparagus. The veggies keep you full, its super fast and easy, and oh so good. I do love eating.

Speaking of eating . . .

Yesterday I gave Carly some little baby snack thingies and tried to get her to feed herself. I've tried before and she just looks at it and opens her mouth waiting for me to feed her. Its funny, because everything she picks up goes straight to her mouth, but food? No, she just plays with it. But yesterday she actually managed to get it near her mouth. And some even went in. It was a huge success.
Speaking of huge successes . . .

Chris defended his thesis last week and passed with flying colors! He even got praise from people who don't often dish out the praise. It went great and he has been working on a few minor revisions, and then graduates in May. So you can just call him Master Chris. He looked so handsome in his GQ outfit I picked out for him the night before, but I didn't get a picture. He came straight home and put on his Cubs jersey for Opening Day. The Cubs lost miserably, but, hey, that didn't dampen our spirits! It has been a long journey and we are glad it is coming to an end.

Speaking of long journeys . . .

We are headed to Indiana tomorrow for an extended weekend with Chris's family. We are getting up dark and early (hopefully . . . little nervous after our night last night) to drive as long as possible while Carly is asleep. We have learned from past experience that letting her sleep all day long in the car makes for some bad days and nights ahead, so hopefully we can learn from the past. Wish us luck. Happy early weekend. xoxoxo.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Great post! She is so cute and GREAT job on the onesie. I have come nowhere close to making something like that and I don't know if I ever will. You help increase my motivation a little though. And congrats to Chris on moving one step closer to the next phase of his education. Very exciting!