Wednesday, February 29, 2012

a little something extra.

We're still at the hospital. The babies were born at 35 weeks 6 days. Exactly one month before their due date. They are healthy and wonderful. They are just about as sweet as it gets. They are just a bit young. They are still learning to eat as much as they need to without using up too much energy. Quinn is working on controlling her bilirubin levels, bet gets better and better at eating. John has a problem maintaining his temperature and has had to spend some time in the 'sauna'. He also struggles to get enough to eat, as he is a sleepy little guy who tires easily. This morning I went in and found him with a feeding tube down his nose. I burst into tears, and instantly felt silly, since there are babies with wires in their heads and IVs in their feet. And its just the regular nursery! Don't let me near a NICU. It was hard to see him cry while they fed breastmilk into his tube. But he needs to stop losing weight, and I'm grateful they are doing what is needed and taking such good care of both our babies.  Everything they are experiencing are all very normal things for a "late term preemie". We don't know for how long it is going to be, but we are grateful they are getting all the care they need to now, so we don't have to worry, or end up in the ER or constantly calling the doctor. Quinn is looking great and looks like she'll be ready a while before John, but it is hard to tell. I want to keep them together as long as possible. So much is up in the air, but we know they will be ok soon, and that is what is most important. The first few days I woke up wondering if we would get to go home. I don't anymore, so it has been good for my emotional state to just be grateful for the care they are getting and that they are really doing great.

[John in his sauna; what a prince.]

Since eating, eating, eating is the name of the game around here, the babies start a feeding every 3 hours. I nurse Quinn for no longer than 10 minutes (so she doesn't get too tired), then pass her off to Chris or a nurse and she gets supplemented with calorie fortified breastmilk. Quinn is actually a fabulous little nurser. She's a feisty little thing despite her size (which the nurses say is actually common in boy/girl twins; the boy will be lackadaisical and the girl will be feisty). Then I offer the breast to John, just so he doesn't forget about it (well, I was before the feeding tube), and then he gets calorie fortified breastmilk too. Nursing would wear him out too much and then he wouldn't get all the food he needs, so they limit him more than Quinn, but he will latch great and the fabulous lactation consultants say he has "huge potential". 

[Quinn quite literally came out of the womb pulling her hat down, then complaining about it.]

Chris's mom is here, which as been a huge blessing, as we don't have to worry a single bit about Carly. She is on vacation, pretty much. She has lots of fun with grandma, and comes to visit once a day. She gets to watch TV and play on the hospital bed, and now that the babies are stuck in the nursery, she waves and blows kisses through the window. She is sweet and calls them "Baby Quinn and Baby John". I hope she still likes them when they invade her home. I miss her like crazy. I did manage to get home for a few hours the day I was discharged, and it was good to be there and put her to bed (though, that didn't do wonders for my recovery). She is such a good girl, and I'm grateful for her happy spirit, and that she doesn't seem too concerned by the fact that mommy is missing. Chris goes home every night to spend time with her, give her a bath, and put her to bed. I'm glad she gets that little bit of stability with him. Then he comes back and sleeps on the awkward chair bed thing in the room. He is superman.

[can't tell you how much I miss my firstborn.] 
{And for the record, this is day of delivery. I actually wear clothes now.}

Since patient volume is so low right now, they are letting us stay in our room even though I'm technically discharged. It is a real tender mercy. I'm sure it won't last long, since women will surely start showing up to have babies, but it has been a huge blessing. Chris can stay with me, and we just go across the hall to visit our babes and do feedings. Everything is working out well, and we've been lucky. I sure hope we can get everyone home soon, but for right now they just need a little something extra.
 
[daddy-son snuggles after discussing the Cubs spring training roster.]

10 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

A month early, 2 babies, both over 5 lbs. So many miracles! I am loving seeing more pictures. And it's so exciting that they are getting better and better each day. I just loved the hospital because there are so many people looking out for your family, it feels so safe.

Golden Girl said...

Such sweet babies and you seem to be handling everything beautifully. When Novalie was born, it was a slow time for births too, so we got to stay in a room (for free) for 2 days, so I know and understand what a HUGE blessing that is. You are all just a beautiful family! Congratulations again!

Taryn said...

I am so sorry they are still there, but you are being so positive about it all! As if going from 1 to 3 kids isn't exciting enough, they wanted to make sure you knew how crazy it really could be :) Hang in there mama!

Stephanie said...

Oh Erin! I can totally symptathize with the bitter sweetness of the health care their getting! Don't feel silly about crying!
It was great seeing them, I'm back to work friday night, let me know if your still there and want a visitor :)
Hang in there guys!

Becky said...

AHHHH! I love these babies already!!! Can't wait for my turn to come up!!!

Laura said...

How incredibly cute are those babies and big sister! You are doing such a great job. They sound like they are doing really well! It is so amazing to me how quickly babies grow and adapt to so much. Being born is hard work! Kase's brother's baby was born at 32 weeks and stayed for 4 weeks in the NICU. He is doing really well now. Those babies are so strong and sweet. They have wonderful doctors, nurses, angels surrounding them. Not to mention the wonderful parents that you guys are.

We're thinking of you and missing you. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Alixa said...

So were they born vaginally, or c-section? And what day were they born? They look so cute and little. I hope you all get to go home soon, too. And i am glad that Carly likes them. Jenna took about five months to even look at Bo.

Marcie said...

Congratulations! They're both so sweet. I hope you and the babies have a quick recovery.

TD Quong said...

You are incredible. This is incredible. Your babies are incredible. I wish you the best in everything and hope that they both get to go home soon. Much love to your sweet little family!

sam and kyrsten said...

I am so happy for you! those babies are so lucky to have you as their mama! and holy cute too! what a darling family of 5! I hope you all get to be home together soon! congratulations!