Wednesday, February 1, 2012

fishy heaven.

Last night before putting Carly down, I couldn't help but notice our beautiful little Harpo was sunk to the bottom of his "little house" (as Carly calls it) and wasn't moving much. I tapped on the glass. I shook it around. Harpo didn't budge. 


Chris and Carly were just finishing bath time, so I headed up and whispered to Chris, "I think Harpo's dead".
"Obama?!?!" he asked.
Hahaha.
"No, Harpo!" I replied.

After putting Carly down we headed down to face the inevitable.
Harpo had moved on to fishy heaven.
Chris geared up to flush him down the toilet, because I just couldn't do it.
I tried to get him to dig a hole outside, but he said he wouldn't dig a hole for a fish.
Fair enough.
It made me sad.
It made Chris sad too.
We had grown rather fond of Harpo.
Its funny how you can grow a soft spot in your heart for a fish.
He was Carly's first pet, after all.
But we bid farewell and flushed.

This morning I saw his empty house and it made my heart sad.
We'll miss him.
Well, Chris and I will.
Carly has yet to notice, and I'm not sure she will.
The novelty of a fish wore off quite a while ago for her.
Though, she did enjoy feeding him from time to time.

Cause of death you might ask?
We're guessing irregular and missed feedings, combined with over-feeding.
Sometimes too much food would come out, and we'd just dump it all in anyway.
Harpo was looking a little plump near the end of his life.
Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, after all.

RIP, little Harpo.
Thanks for a fabulous 6 months.

1 comment:

L said...

Oh, poor you, Chris, and Harpo.

And how apropos is it that my word verification is hatchies. Reminded me of fish hatchery. Okay, I'm weird.