Friday, March 20, 2009

Drooling

I know, I know. I'm posting again. Pretty obvious school assignments are done and I don't feel like studying quite yet (still on a mental vacation) and work has been DEAD SLOW. So you get to hear my meaningless thoughts AGAIN. (Pause while we do the dance of joy).

Anyway, I read this this morning and it made me cry. What doesn't make me cry, you ask? Not a lot, but this was very sweet and a great perspective. This blog is hilarious, by the way. I really enjoy her stories.

Now to the point (as if there is ever really a point): have you ever wanted something so badly you think about it too much? Have daydreams about it? Plan out how your life would be if you have it? I'm not talking about a happy marriage or a beautiful baby or your dream job. I'm talking about materialistic things. Throughout my life there seems to always be something I really really want, and want for years possibly, but can't bring myself to buy. Its never an outrageously expensive thing (like $1000 high heels) but its usually something that costs just a tad more than I prefer to spend on that particular item. A few examples:

~The Fossil Belt~

This isn't the exact one. They must not make it anymore because I couldn't find it. But it was the same idea as this. I loved that belt. In my mid teen years I would go visit it at Dillards whenever I went to the mall. I used to think of outfits I could wear with it, going on dates with it on, etc. Literally daydream about it. I had a job, and no real expenses other than gas and savings, so I probably could have gotten it. But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to buy it, even though I literally wanted it for years. In fact, if I could find it today, I'd still want it. Whats funny is that I made other big purchases. One Christmas I even bought my boyfriend a Fossil watch. How dumb is that? Despite my drooling, I never got the belt.

~The Puma Speed Cat~

These shoes were the cause of my drool during my late teen/early college years. I love Puma shoes in general, and I do have a pair of Roma's that I got for $13 on a clearance table (it was seriously meant to be: one pair left, white with pink stripe-thingy, exactly my size). But I seriously drooled over these ones for years (and still do, actually). Any shoes store, any outlet, any sports store, I visited them. And always compared prices. They never got excessively expensive, but they were still expensive, and as this was my going to college, early college, early marriage phase, I knew they were one luxury I really couldn't have.

That brings me to today's current materialistic obsession. But really its not about me; its about the baby (Right).

~The Bumbleride Indie~


As embarrassing as it is to admit, my heart literally leaps a little when I daydream about pushing my baby girl around in this beauty. Granted, its because of the baby girl, but the stroller definitely aids in the perfection of the daydream: warm sunny day in October (we live in the South~I won't be leaving the house in August!), my Penguins Nike jogging shoes; red-headed baby girl; and light-weight, smooth-riding, gorgeous Indie. I regularly look at it online, and every time I decide I can live without it, I look again and immediately return to my conclusion that no other stroller will do. Its becoming a problem because as my husband stresses over which names he likes, I stress if I dare register for a stroller that costs this much more than your average stroller. But honestly it would last forever and I'd only need one because its a jogging and city stroller and it folds up so compactly and it only weighs twenty pounds and its made of such high quality materials and it fits kids from birth until age 4 and its so cute. Are those reasons enough? I can't decide. But I know I'll continue to drool over the Bumbleride Indie, whether it shows up on my doorstep or not (because the only way I'll get it is if I'm gutsy enough to put it on my registry and someone~or a group of people, as it may require~are generous enough to actually buy it off the registry).

So there, there's all my materialism played out for you. What do you drool over?

3 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

Well. let's see... My current expensive droller is the Canon 5D Mark II, but that is much more expensive than your stroller, which is why it is being saved for one penny at a time. :) It does help a little with my aching though that it is backordered basically everywhere.

And it's probably true. With a crazy awesome stroller like that you probably won't ever need a new one... until you have two kids you want to be pushing around at the same time... ;) But that's another story, right?

p.s. I never even thought about the red hair... OBVIOUSLY your baby is going to be just about the cutest thing on the planet!!!

beckster said...

REGISTER FOR IT. I want you to push my niece around in that thing. That's all I have to say about that.

TD Quong said...

Once I found this dress that I really really liked, but I didn't get it for whatever reason and then could NOT stop thinking about it. So a few days later I went back and it was GONE. I was deeply saddened.
I know money doesn't buy happiness, but doesn't it just seem like life would be so much easier if you had lots of money? Then you could have the stroller and I could have a new wardrobe.
PS-To help the fight for the stroller, Lina Gillespie (remember her?) told me that they got a cheap stroller and going over all the bumps in the sidewalk actually made her baby throw up. So you do need a really nice one, right? ;)