Monday, March 23, 2009

I Never Wanted This For You


Beware: I talk a lot of meaningless nonsense in this post. Yes, worse than usual.
~
We had such a good weekend. Ever had a really good weekend that actually felt somewhat long and then all the sudden its over? Boo on that.
~
Friday evening we stopped by this ritzy baby shop where everything is so ridiculously adorable but so completely unaffordable. I love going there, and Chris doesn't mind because its about 1/20 the size of BabiesRUs. About a month ago a saw the Bumbleride there and began my incessant coveting, so we decided to go back and see if it was as beautiful as I remember. Alas, it was gone, and the lady said all moms who get it just love it. I don't blame them . . . anyway, thats not the point. Its was fun to pay a visit to that little shop. On the way out we saw a 30-year-old professional woman with her $900 Bugaboo stroller walking in. Guess I'll be sticking with TJMaxx ;-)
~
After that we stopped by Target to see if their significantly less expensive jogging stroller did anything for me. It didn't, of course, because apparently I'm extraordinarily anal about my stroller, but from there we headed home. For dinner we made buffalo chicken legs, which were totally disgusting and way too spicy. The smell permeated our whole apartment and made me really nauseous. Cross that one off the dinner list.
~
Saturday morning was spent lounging, in no hurry to get out of bed. When we did, we headed to our personal gym for a work out. Our apartment complex just put in a new fitness center and I swear we are the only ones who use it. Its so nice. I'm horribly out of shape, but its nice to walk a mile or so and lift some light weights. At my last doctor's appointment I had gained all of 2 more pounds (that would be 4 whole pounds at 19 weeks pregnant) and I kind of panicked. The nurse called me a worry wort and said the pounds would be coming in no time. Anyway, the point is that Chris's theory is any weight I've gained in pregnancy mass has only replaced the weight I've lost in muscle mass because I haven't worked out pretty much my whole pregnancy. Pretty decent theory, and I hope to remedy that by gaining some muscle back in order to actually tote a big baby around in my belly the last 2 months or so. Anyway . . . It was nice to go to the gym.
~
Saturday afternoon into evening was reserved for baby registry. However, we were horribly interrupted. By The Godfather. Now the Godfather is on AMC I swear every other week. I've seen Chris watching bits and pieces but always mock him for doing so. Yesterday, I was sucked in. The Godfather in an incredibly fascinating, compelling movie. I really wish I could express how good it is. I didn't want to stop watching. As it neared 5:00, however, we figured we better head out and turned the TV off . . . . that story will pick up later.
~
So we headed to BabiesRUs and within seconds realized we were way out of our league. How many bottles does a baby need? Whats a nose aspirator? What does this do? Is this necessary? We try to live by the motto "Ten years ago, babies survived perfectly without [fill in the blank]." Sometimes it works better than others. Yes, 10 years ago babies survived without the Bumbleride, but invention is what makes life easier and more enjoyable, right? However the Boppy and the Bumbo didn't make the cut. We'll see how that goes. After several hours in BabiesRUS we spent a few minutes in Target (thank goodness they only have 5 isles of baby stuff) and finally headed home. We then stayed up way too late watching nonsense on TV and eating dinner around midnight.
~
Sunday was church, of course. When we arrived home I flipped on the TV to AMC (they have America's Next Top Model marathons on on Sunday on Oxygen and that's not the most uplifting show so I try not to watch 8 hours of it on Sunday, like I did one time). Anyway, come to find the Godfather was on, exactly where we left off the day before. Like it was meant to be. So, we watched it. And what came on next? The Godfather Part II. So we watched that too. (Talk about wholesome Sunday entertainment. . . whoops). But I seriously love those movies, and I'm glad I got to see them edited on TV. Nothing quite like a Sunday afternoon with the widows open, a light breeze blowing in, curled under a blanket with your hub, watching the Godfather for hours. Good times.

Al Pacino as Michael in The Godfather. So handsome back then, wasn't he?


~

Then Sunday evening we headed out to a baptism of two teenagers joining the Church. We walked out of our building and noticed a smell . . . and smoke . . . oh, and the bush in front of our building is on fire. What? So, not wanting to have our building burn down, we run upstairs and bring big bowls of water to douse the little flames (luckily they were still small) and stirred the coals around with our ice scraper. So strange. There are cigarettes laying around in the general area so we figure someone threw a still glowing cigarette into a dry bush on a warm breezy day. Brilliant. Anyway, after we fought a fire, we headed to the baptism.
~
So it was a great weekend. Sadly, we had to return to the real world today. Even sadder is that Chris's spring break is over--come and gone too quickly. As Chris got out of the car this morning, I was sad to see him have to return to the grind. In my best raspy Godfather voice, I said, "I never wanted this for you." (that's a famous line from the movie--the Godfather telling his youngest son he never wanted him to be a mob boss). Then I laughed really hard because I'm so funny and clever, and Chris laughed really hard because my Godfather voice really sucked.

~


Now we're back to the grind.

6 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

Juan has sucked me into the Godfather before, have to admit I'm not as big of fan as you are. That was pretty quick on your feet though, quoting to Chris. Ha ha made me laugh.

Lauren Davison said...

Hahaha. Oh man, this was so great. Maybe, if it's meant to be, you will find a crazy-good sale on your stroller. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :) If you want good buffalo wings (but they are rather spicy), hit up a Ruby River Steakhouse. :) Everything is ridiculously expensive, but their wings appetizer is like... $7 or something, and Kirby and I will go and JUST get that and share it. :) Unless you hate spicy ones. In which case, avoid it like the plague...

Laura and family said...

Two questions!

1- would your car seat snap into the fancy jogger, or are you planning on getting a "normal" stroller too? For the first 4-6 months, the baby won't be able to really sit in a stroller unless they are in the carseat... plus she'll prob fall asleep everytime she's in the car.

2- as a cheaper alternative, this is the jogger i have. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3136650 it was the only "REAL" jogger i could find at babies r us- the others were more trendy, but the wheels were too small to actual provide stability while running. it also has a speed and distance tracker and you can plug in your mp3 player and it broadcasts out of speakers. pretty cool... but not nearly as pretty as the one you want ;)

3- we never used the bumbo or boppy anyway. you could probably borrow ours if you feel the need to really have one :)

Laura and family said...

um and by two questions, i really meant three. ha!

Stacey said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging. You are so fun to read. Don't stress about getting overwhelmed. At about 36 weeks I called my mom in a panic, "Do I have enough onsies, how many diapers do I need, is the carseat installed right...etc." I was so overwhelmed. But, it always works out and things just fall into place. Just enjoy being pregnant. And I totally agree with getting a stroller that fits the carseat. It has been a life saver. Anyway, good luck with everything else. And enjoy only gaining 4 pounds thus far...they will come. And that is more shocking than anything else!

Erin_C said...

Good news. Or maybe not. I found out the carseat I like will snap in to the Bumbleride;-). I'm officially done worrying about strollers. ha ha