Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Not Back

Really, I'm not. I still have 4/5 of my "Bible as Literature" class to finish by Saturday. This Saturday. And between the story of Abraham being asked to sacrifice Isaac and the religion class I just finished, I cry. . . often. Religion class + pregnant lady = tears. Such a mess. So really, I'm definately not back. But . . .
~
We get to see our baby in a week. Its crazy because I need time to slow down for school, but want it to speed up to March 18. Along with seeing the Kid, we'll also get to see if sweet child will be sweet daughter or sweet son. The concept is intoxicating.
~
We have, however, recieved pressure to do a baby registry. The idea was strange to me. A wedding registry I get, but a baby registry? It has been demanded by coworkers and more strongly by extended family members, and we promised Chris's grandma we'd get right on that as soon as we knew the gender. Amidst my hard school work, I've been parusing Babies R Us and Target (think those are the two places I'm going with, even though my hometown doesn't have either--) and there is so much STUFF. A lot I have a good idea of what I want. But most I'm totally clueless. So, to all mommies, what could you NOT LIVE WITHOUT? Whats your favorite thing? Bouncer and swing, or will one do? Bumbo, bobby, bottles, blankies, binkies-- whats the best of the best? Of course, the big two for me are stroller and carseat. Have a carseat you love? Know a carseat or stroller that I SHOULD NOT get? I need your mommy wisdom, because at this point I'm not sure I have any (though, I did get a bella band so my pants would stop digging into my womb--I think baby appreciates that). Let me have it.
~
And really, I'm curious: does anyone have one of these? I can't figure out what it is for. Everything else I get, but not this. Anyone?
One thing I totally know I want is this Ikea crib. $99 and totally simple and adorable. There are so many huge and beautiful cribs, but our baby room probably wouldn't even fit one! And what would I do with a $500 crib? I'd rather have a $500 jogging stoller (though, I won't be getting one of those either). Anyway, I heart this crib. And this summer we'll be journeying to Cincinnati to get one. Yay!
Ok, I'm gone again now.
~
Though I will be checking for comments. And anyone who has a thingy that tracks the visitors to your blog knows I've cheated on more than one occasion anyway. My bad! Oh, and you knew it was coming. The baby gender poll----------------> Cast your vote before March 18. If you want to go with my "mother's intuition" (I'm not sure I would) vote boy. If you want to go with Chris's not-so-secret wish, go with girl. ;-)
~
Ok. I"m gone again now.

7 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

Well... the idea behind your port-a-crib picture on top is similar to the ikea crib in that you can have the baby up high when they are not mobile and trying to get out. But once they are, in the case of the ikea crib, you move the mattress down so they can't escape, and in the part of the port-a-crib, you take out the upper portion. One nice thing about the port-a-crib is that it folds up, so if you are traveling you can have a fairly compact crib to take wherever you need it. Also, it can serve as a "play pen" if you believe in them. :) Phew! Also, I would recommend a "Snuggli" (or however they are spelled.) Gives you two hands! Also--check out diaper genies. They eliminate the need to run diapers out to the garbage each time to keep you house from smelling poopy and/or uriney. Anyways. I've blabbed my mouth off enough. :) And I don't even have a child. hahahah. I'm merely speaking from experience of my sister and friends... :)

Lanenga Family said...

Well, in my experience...what am I talking about?! Sorry, no help here, but good luck! :)

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

I call the first crib a pack and play. Those are great to take with you on trips. Also, when they're newborns the little bed attached to it is nice because it's not so deep in the crib and it's easy for you to get the baby. Also, I dont know if you're planning on nursing (wow sorry if that's kinda personal!) but I had a "hooter hider" and those are great. Also, a swing is really nice... if the baby likes it! Sometimes they dont like the motion so much. But.. that's my two cents! Good Luck!

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

The first picture is a pack-and-play. I didn't have one until my baby was like 9 monthes old and my sister-in-law gave me one. Now it's the only thing he sleeps in. He can't sleep without his binkie and he would always throw them out of the crib and then he'd scream until I got up to return it. He can't throw them out of his pack-and-play, it's a beautiful thing. I never had a bouncer, only a swing and I never missed the bouncer, but every baby's different I guess. What I really wished I'd had, I'm not sure what it's called but I've seen them at babies-r-us, was one of those blankets that has velcro so you can swaddle the baby and they won't wiggle out of it. My baby loved being swaddled but he'd always wiggle down into the blanket and cover his little face, which would give me severe anxiety. I think that blanket thing would have eliminated the problem. Anyways, can't wait to find out what you're having!!

Stacey said...

The number one item on my list of must haves is book called "Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant The Gift of Sleep." It not so much for the baby, but it is awesome! I read it, followed the steps and Tayden is sleeping about 6 hours right now. I am hoping he will be making it through the night by 8 weeks. It's seriously the greatest book ever! Also, I know what Traci is talking about. I have one, mine is called a HALO sleeper. It wraps him up tight so he can't wiggle. I LOVE it! There are different variations, so I'm sure any would do. But Tayden loves it. Remember every baby is different and what works for one won't work for the other. But seriously...get the book. Its wonderful!

Tedi said...

I'm not a mom yet but will be soon, so I have also been looking into all the baby stuff. So here's my bit. As others have told you the Pack n Play is like a crib. We just bought one with a changing table and plan to have the baby sleep in the bassinet. We aren't buying a crib until after we move. From what I understand most babies like the bouncer but not all babies like swings. As far as strollers and car seats go. I know that the travel systems are nice but the stroller will take up most of your trunk space. Hope that helps! Good luck finishing your classes.

beckster said...

Dang STRAIGHT you're coming to Cincy! I am so excited!!!!! Now get back to work, woman!