Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We prayed for her, and we got her.

Last night I cried myself to sleep. So dramatic, I know. My feet and back and head and stomach hurt. I had been having frequenter-than-in-the-past contractions and was getting all freaked by it (called the nurse, who talked to the doctor--all is well). So I collapsed in bed around 9:30 and Chris tucked me in and kissed me good night and headed out to tie up all the loose ends before we head out of town today. I proceeded to cry, unbeknownst to him, and just before I slipped off to sleep, just as the crying stopped, Lil began to poke her little elbows/knees/feet out of my side. I put my hand on my tummy and felt her little bones wiggling around. I had absolutely nothing to be crying about. I'm so lucky. So fortunate. We prayed for Lil', and we got her. Not everyone builds their eternal family this way. There are lots of ways to go about it, and pregnancy is arguably the easiest. If you've never read the r house, now is your chance. Start here. The story of Mrs. R's deposition to keep her son. It gave me goosebumps.
~
Last week we went to dinner with 3 other married couples. The wives of the 3 said couples are all friends of Chris's from his program. The topic of conversation quickly turned to child-baring, and these couples had pretty today-typical plans: a house, nice cars, jobs, money, "adventure"--all prerequisites for having a baby. One couple just bought a house, the other just got back from a 12-day Mediterranean cruise, one drives a fancy bright convertible. One girl said that at this point they really don't want any kids; they are happy with being the cool aunt and uncle. All of the above are perfectly fine opinions and everyone has to do what is right for them. But it was an interesting conversation to be a part of as I sat all whale-like and thought of our 2 bedroom apartment, Chris 4 years of school ahead, our restricted budget, our nice Honda Civic that is only possible because it was a gift from generous parents. I was very grateful for how we feel, what we know. That Lil is our greatest blessing and biggest adventure. That we will be blessed and watched over by a loving Heavenly Father. We prayed for Lil', and we got her. We wanted her and we wanted her despite not having all the temporal fancyness the world seems to think is necessary to raise a child. I'm grateful Chris and I are on the same page and have the same goals and priorities. I'm grateful we get our little girl. I'd take her over a 12-day cruise any day (though, a 12-day cruise sounds mighty fine right now). Not sure what I'm trying to say. I just feel very grateful today.
~
Sorry. Just some thoughts from a sappy pregnant lady.
We are going to Indiana tonight for the 4th.
I will be doing everything in my power
not to look at a computer the entire time.
Enjoy your holiday weekend.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

It's hard sometimes to want to say the right thing and accept others, but I think you are perfectly OK to say that what those couples want is totally off. It is great that we have the truth and know true happiness by following the Lord's plan instead of Satan's plan to destroy the family.

The last months of pregnancy are hard and emotional, at least for me. You can do it! I am excited for you three! Life will only get better! :)

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

They don't know what they're missing! I thought we were poor before our baby came, but then he came and we realized we didn't even know what poor was. We'd never change it though, it's made us rely so heavily on the Lord and trust that he will help us take care of the baby he sent us, and he has, even with my husband being in school and me being a full time mom. It all works out (but at least for us it's taken A LOT of faith). Good luck!