Tuesday, March 9, 2010

a cool new concept.

I don't watch Oprah much. Its a long story that someday I will tell, but I try not to watch her. But occasionally I will take a peek. And today's show was about a cool new concept that is suddenly hot in Hollywood: genealogy! Have you ever heard of doing your family history? What an original idea.
~
There is a new show on NBC called Who Do You think You Are? It takes famous people and follows them as they research their family history. The people who do it have fantastic and touching experiences. It shows just how powerful genealogy really can be. I might have to be a watcher. But its funny to see these people talk about genealogy and what an amazing thing it is. I love when the world catches up to the Church. I think it is a blessing for missionary work. People will see this show and remember it when the missionaries knock on their door and teach them about family history and temple work.
~
It was pretty interesting to hear Oprah and Emmitt Smith practically bearing their testimonies about genealogy. Oprah showed clips showing Emmitt trace his lineage back several generations. He had slave ancestors, and it was really cool to see how finding his history really touched him. It was interesting because he said that when he found his "lost ancestors" that he felt like they were happy. That they were at peace now that they were found/remembered. Emmitt said that he feels like he understands himself better now, that he knows who he is and where he is going. Here was living proof of the Lord turning the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to the fathers (see here). . . on Oprah. The way he spoke is the way I feel after attending the temple. The person who's work I just did is at peace, grateful for the blessings they just received. Grateful they were remembered.
~
I'm no genealogist. I would really love to, but I'm one of those people who has other family members who are hard core, so I feel a bit like there is nothing left for me to find (excuses, excuses). But I know how important it is. I've been to the temple, so I know. Joseph Smith said, "The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead." I just found it fascinating that these superstars could feel the Spirit, feel the righteousness, and feel the miracle in doing their genealogy.

2 comments:

About Us said...

I totally watched that Oprah just now, and thought the same exact thing. You just said it much better than I could have. I'm not much into Oprah anymore, but finally she did a show worth watching! Hope all is well:)

Jonathan and Sarah said...

I totally agree with loving when the world catches up with the church! That is exactally what I thought when I saw previews for that show.