Friday, March 12, 2010

keeping calm and carrying on.

I can't even tell you how much I love this poster.
I think its classic and stylish and you can't beat the message.
Then I read the history behind it and I love it even more.
[I'm a history buff and a royalty buff. Nerd alert.]
It was a symbol of calm and assurance in the chaos of WWII Britain.
It said that even if everything is crumbling around you, keep calm and carry on.
Because sometimes that is all you can do.
I must have this in my house. Soon.
And I would love a similar frame, as well.
Its been one of those weeks in the C house. One of those weeks where you are like "Aww, man, but we were doing so good!" One of those weeks where you can't help but feel a little gloomy. And the non-stop clouds and rain didn't help
~
Our Tuesday surprise was a financial one. One that requires us to crunch a few numbers and tighten our belts and consider bidding farewell to the hopes of a summer beach vacation for three. But do you know what? There are a lot of problems we can face in life. And I would take financial concerns over every single one of them. We are healthy, we are safe, we are sealed, we have Carly, we have wonderful families. We are blessed.
~
That doesn't mean there was no panicking on my part. You know when a big stupid thing happens so all the little annoying things that happen every day seem way worse? Last night shortly after dinner my stomach felt the all-too-familiar chopped-up-by-an-ax feeling. Somehow some wheat sneaked in with my taco salad. I was not happy. In between my restroom visits, I decided I should wax my eyebrows, as they were becoming jungle-like. I've used these wax strips multiple times, they work great, and I HATE plucking. But last night? Last night they took a layer of skin while simultaneously depositing a layer of wax and leaving all the hairs. Really? With everything else going on, maybe, just maybe, my eyebrow wax strips could work. But it was not to be. My jungle eyebrows remain.
~
But I think we are reaching a calm after the storm.
We are waiting on one last phone call,
and I'm hoping the lady has good news for me.
But if she doesn't? It will be all right.
We have a plan.
Keep praying for those whose burdens are much greater than ours.
Keep paying tithing.
Keep clinging to each other.
And carry on.
~
~
~
Now I must go. The Young Women are having an auction of baked goods tonight at the Ward Talent show. I'm making Butterfinger Cake and Rocky Road brownies. Neither of which I can eat so it won't be hard to let them go. But I will say, I got a gluten-free yellow cake mix so I can make some of the Butterfinger Cake for myself. It looks fabulous.
Happy Weekend.

3 comments:

sam and kyrsten said...

thanks so much for your comment. it really made me feel good! i love this poster too. it is a good reminder! i hope that things start going a little bit better! just so you know the eyebrow strip thing made me cringe a little! ouch!

Michael said...

why do people have to go and spoil a decent meal with wheat? I feel your pain . . . literally, I do. Glad to hear that you are being tough and proactive about hard things. Around here we like to mix tough and proactive with an old-fashioned dose of "this is not fair!" yelling. Feel free.

Rach said...

your seven month picture of Carly is so sweet! and I too love that poster. We went to a bakery the other day and they had a big one framed on the wall only it said: "keep calm and have a cup cake" loved it.

Also, my sister has gluten intolerance as well, Ill try and dig up some recipes for ya!

ps-the eye-brow wax thing, totally happened to me before. ouch.