Sunday, March 7, 2010

s is for state.


As in Michigan State.

Ever been to Michigan?

I have . . . once.

On our 1st anniversary we went to a little lake town.

It was beautiful.Well, guess what?

I get to go back.

In fact, I get to live there.
Yes, we're moving to Michigan this summer.

Chris will be attending Michigan State for the next 4 years.

Carly and I will drink lots of hot chocolate.

~
Our decision was an interesting one. When we were deciding on where to go for a masters degree, no place really stuck out. Chris got into 3 similar and great programs. We were clueless, and went to the temple looking for answers. While in the temple, we both got an overwhelming feeling that Tennessee was the place. This time around? We've felt really good about Michigan the whole time. No big confirmation. It has just always felt right, so here we go. Its funny how God talks to us in different ways.
~
Its a bittersweet blessing for me. The prospect of moving to Utah, so close to my parents and siblings, was a tasty one. I can't wait to go back west, especially now that we have Carly. But it is not to be, not yet at least. (I'm hoping for a job in the west when our Michigan time is done.). We know we will be greatly blessed in Michigan, as we have been greatly blessed here.
~
I'm getting very excited. And very restless. I like looking at houses and thinking of plans. Chris has about 7 million things he has to do before he can start worrying about it. I could pick up and leave tomorrow. This move is also a bit scarier for Chris than for me. My job stays the same, and I only get more fun things to worry about (paint colors, anyone?). I have learned how to live in a strange place and enjoy being with Carly all day every day. Chris? Chris has 4 years of very difficult schooling and a dissertation to face.
~
Its weird to think ahead, to think of what our Michigan years will bring. Like how Carly will be nearly FIVE when we are done. How hopefully she will be a big sister. How Chris and I will both be old. How we will have a house we've lived in for years (we've never lived in the same place for over a year in our entire marriage). How Chris will be a doctor. It will be a fabulous 4 years.
~
Chris went to Michigan in November for an all-expenses paid visit (that was a good sign to his chances of getting in). He took some pictures of campus.
Beautiful, don't you think?
~
Wish us luck.

11 comments:

Karen Thomas said...

sniff sniff. tears. both happy and sad.

Stacey said...

WOW! What an adventure. I have to admit there are times I am jealous. Good luck!

Jason Thomas said...

Yay! Exciting for both of you and the wee one. Can't wait to see you guys!

Taryn said...

So exciting to know! And the thought of a house...so jealous! Well you won't be too far from Ohio and our of course our Buckeyes are in the Big 10 with your Spartans so now we can be sports rivals :)

Karen Thomas said...

You will all be fabulous there. We will visit and see you all through the magic webcam. Love you! jt

Laura said...

It looks very pretty there. But I am selfish and don't want you to move. :(

But if I put my own feelings aside and picture if it were me, I think it's exciting.

Why couldn't a master's degree be 4years too? Oh well.

Atleast I can still read your blog. :)

Unknown said...

That's exciting news! Congrats to Chris and to you! I hope all goes well. I agree about wanting to end up somewhere back West. I'm itching for that time to come, but until then, I get excited about the other little possibilities. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Congrats you two...three I mean! We miss you guys a ton!

Cami and Juan said...

You will love it there. I lived in Wisconsin, cold is cold. It won't be so bad. And it is beautiful. And the people are soooo nice.

Lanenga Family said...

Congrats on Michigan! I bet it feels good to finally know where you guys will be going. AND you are closer--only a 10 hr drive from us. Feel free to come whenever :) we can do NYC!!!

Lauren Davison said...

How exciting, and how COOL!