Thursday, September 9, 2010

thursdays.

Carly and I are getting into a routine.
It looks something like this:
  1. Get up and shower/get ready before Carly.
  2. Carly up, play, breakfast.
  3. Get out of the house: store, walk, park, whatever. Just get the girl out.
  4. Come home have lunch.
  5. Carly naps anywhere from 1-3 hours. Usually about 2. Mommy eats, works on basement, blog surfs, watches DVR entertainment, gets little things done, cleans . . . according to need.
  6. Play, which mostly means walk around outside.
  7. Daddy comes home/dinner/play/chaos.
  8. Carly gets a bath from daddy.
  9. Carly goes to bed.
  10. Mommy collapses and delays going to bed because she doesn't want to move.
Most days also include some disaster, like a smoke-filled kitchen and a burnt pancake, or a broken bowl and scattered rice cereal. But that is the stuff of this paradise I'm living in.
Carly has been a happy baby lately. She is such a routine girl, its funny. And when she is good, I am good.
~
An another note, last night I headed to campus to help on a research project for one of Chris's colleagues. I was on my way out when Chris said, "You're not allowed to wear those pants anymore." Why? I asked. "Because I can see your underwear through the holes in the back." Whoops. I need new jeans. Thing is, I hate jean shopping, and I really hate jean prices. Carly is in need of practically a whole wardrobe before the real cold shows up, and I just couldn't justify buying myself new clothes.

So, a friend from the ward tells me about a children's consignment store that is great, but its on the other side of the city. So to "get out" today, Carly and I packed up and headed there. Turns out its a fabulously disorganized place with SO much stuff. I got Carly 2 light coats, skirt, dress, 2 pairs of pants, and a shirt for $13. And it was all Baby Gap or Children's Place, and all in great condition. Not too shabby.

Anyway, on the way back I noticed a Goodwill. Did you know I'm a sucker for Goodwill? I mostly love their home decor prizes (I'll have to do a whole post on what I've gotten in that department) but I've found some great stuff there in terms of baby clothes. Is that ghetto? Should I be embarrassed? Well, I'm not. We live on a very tight budget, and everything is washable, right? Anywho . . . I pull into the parking lot and, oh my golly, this is the nicest looking Goodwill I've ever seen. They even call it "Goodwill Emporium". Its huge, and as I scan the racks, I see all sorts of nice stuff in great condition. I head back to the children's section but on my way I see "Ladies Jeans $4.69". Oh man that's right in my price range! Long story short: I got two pairs of brand name jeans in perfect condition for $10. I even tried them on in the Goodwill dressing room while Carly played with my shoes on the floor. Is that classy or what? Booyah.
{yes, this is the only picture you get today}
Anyway, the reason this post is titled "thursdays" is because I don't like Thursdays.
Chris has 14 hour days on Thursdays.
And we miss him.
But today was a good day.
And for that I'm grateful. 

4 comments:

Taryn said...

The word Emporium makes anything high class. And I want to come to that magical consignment store that sells used Baby Gap and Gymboree for USED prices. Stupid Once Upon a Child...

Anyways, glad you had a good time in Goodwill and found some treasure!

Becky said...

NICE! My favorite is Carly playing on the floor with your shoes at the Goodwill. But I am intrigued by the smoke in your kitchen....

Lauren Davison said...

WOW. Little bit jealous of your fabulous finds! It makes me want to go and peruse the DI!

sam and kyrsten said...

oh man thrifting is always ghetto but oh so wonderful. dont even be embarassed one bit. its the college budget life! i do it frequently.