Monday, March 28, 2011

'hawk and awe.

We had a beyond delightful weekend in Chicago.
I was genuinely sad when it was over.
I hate when things you are looking forward to come and go.

We headed up to Chris's grandma's house on Friday afternoon.
It took Carly all of 10 minutes to learn how to say her dog's name,
though Georgia came out "joo-jah".
And all of 11 minutes to start bossing Georgia around.
"No no, Joo-jah!"
Poor pup didn't know what this tiny tyrant's deal was.

Carly also learned Baga, the name for grandma that Chris, being the first grandchild, made up when he was about Carly's age. Unfortunately it often came out "Bag".
"Bye bye, Bag!"

[get a load of that child's hair]

Carly was outrageously spoiled with attention.
She especially liked hanging out with Papa, a.k.a. "Pa-pack", (a special combo of papa and backpack from Dora). They read the Trib together, went to medical school where Carly learned to listen to everyone's heart through a toy stethoscope (including poor Georgia), and raked leaves . . . a task that Carly was very willing and helpful with.

Saturday night, Carly stayed home with Aunt Becky (thank you, Becky!) and jammed out to Mary Poppins, while Chris and I and his parents headed to the United Center to cheer on the Blackhawks.

I was so excited, I had to pee like 15 times.
I think I was driving Chris insane.
But, hello, it was my first NHL game!
We fully intend to trek the 5 hours to Pittsburgh one of these days and see a live Pittsburgh game, and let me tell you, I probably won't sleep the night before and I'll probably pee like 30 times beforehand.

Anyway.
I was really excited.

Chris's wonderful amazing uncle hooked us up with fabulous tickets and fabulous parking.
Here we are next to our parking spot, right in front of the United Center.
It was about 10 degrees.

We got there way early, to make sure and get lots of pictures next to empty ice and eat United Center polish sausages and hamburgers.

I was so excited for the players to come out, I had to go to the bathroom again.
And guess what?
They came out while I was gone!
Sad day.
But Chris and I were both excited to see they were wearing their super cool Winter Classic Jersey's.
I went down a few steps to get some closer pictures.
This guy looked right at my camera, then waved after I took a picture.
We're pretty much bff's now.
Too bad I can't see his number, because I have no idea who he is.

I don't know if you know, but the Blackhawks are actually the defending Stanley Cup Champions. There was a very old, very well-dressed man right behind us. People kept walking by and shaking his hand and patting him on the shoulder. He was wearing the largest, most diamondiest ring I've ever seen in real life: a Stanley Cup Championship ring from last year. The name on the ring was Fitzgerald (yes, the ring was large enough to fit "Fitzgerald"). We googled him, but couldn't figure out who he was. But it was cool to see the ring in person.


I don't know why we didn't get a picture of all four of us.
But we had lots of fun and a big thanks to Chris's parents for everything!


I was really in awe of these elite players, and it was so much fun to see them up close and see how fast the game is, how smart and talented they are. I was in heaven.
And the massive cup of rocky road in my hands didn't hurt either.

[don't mind us, we're both blind, but too poor for contacts]

With 4 minutes left, the game was tied 1-1, and I was seriously hoping for overtime and a shootout.
Unfortunately, the Ducks scored again, and the Hawks lost.
Kind of a bummer, but it was still a grand old time.

We came back to find Aunt Becky had maneuvered dinner and bedtime flawlessly.
We came home on Sunday, and I was wishing for a rewind button.

Back to reality.

xoxo.

2 comments:

Becky said...

You're so welcome! Like I said, anytime! And though it appeared to come off flawlessly, it's not so hard to do that when your chrage loves bathtime and goes down like a champ. She makes it look like I've got way more skillz than I do! Haha, but it was a very fun weekend, and I miss you guys already!

Lindsey Chadwick said...

Erin you make me laugh! I love how you had to pee 30 times! haha!!