Friday, March 18, 2011

in which carly locks me out of the house.


you should probably know that i have a habit of locking the door the second i close it. carly sees me lock the door several times a day. she has been messing with the door knob and deadbolt lately. i didn't think she had the leverage to turn the deadbolt fully.

you should probably know i never take the garbage out when carly is awake. i usually send chris out with it in the evening. or i take it out when she is napping. the dumpster is about 10 seconds outside our door. today we had friends coming over, so i thought i'd take our stinky garbage out before they arrived. i left the door open so carly could watch me as i went.

around the time i reached the dumpster, i heard carly slam the door shut. not uncommon. i speed-walked back to our front door, and attempted to open the door. locked. i tried again. locked. had she really locked me out? was she capable of locking me out? i heard her on the other side of the door: "pease. pease." Please open the door, she was saying. I calmly explain I can't. "Mommy is stuck," I say. She starts crying. I start panicking.

you should probably know that this was one of those times in motherhood where i felt totally lame and helpless. no keys. no phone. i repeatedly tried to get carly to unlock the door. of course, she didn't understand. i kept talking to her. i wanted to keep her at the door. i had visions of her doing all sorts of things to hurt herself, and i couldn't see her . . . couldn't stop her . . . couldn't help her. i got freaked.

but remember how I mentioned our friends were on the way? Camilla and Kennedy showed up just in time to save the day. i swear they always witness how dysfunctional we are. Camilla stood at the door and talked to Carly, while I took her car to the front office (we have a big complex. it would have taken 15 minutes to walk there and back. i wasn't leaving Carly alone for 15 minutes). i got the spare key. i opened the door to fine a confused carly, who immediately turned into an excited carly when she saw "baby!".

we spent the rest of the afternoon hanging and having a nice time.

but i can't believe how scared i was for those few minutes.

oh, how i love that girl.

teach me to ever take the trash out again.

5 comments:

Taryn said...

Yikes! Getting locked out is never fun, whether by your toddler or your husband. Glad you could get in and everyone is happy once again :)

Laura and family said...

Gabe actually didn't this to me about three weeks ago. I was carrying in groceries and he locked the door while I went to get more. I FREAKED because I also heard the Gate slam shut, meaning he wasn't anywhere near the door. Luckily I was able to tell him to get a kitchen chair, push it to the gate, and open the door. I couldn't believe it, but he was able to do it.

Then, the week after, I locked both kids in the car (turned on) at Olive Garden!! I was buckling Claire in and Gabe threw the keys, AFTER he hit the lock button. Called the cops and guess what? Unless it is extremely cold/hot, and there is immediate danger to your kids, they won't open the door for you! I had to have a friend get into our house and get our spare. Ugh.

Glad Carly was ok (I know it is so scary with our wild ones, being free, alone, in the house! ha!) and your friends were coming soon. I'd rather be embarassed than have something happen to her! Plus now you guys have somethign to laugh about together :) and truth be told, I'm sure she has had similar 'mom moments.'

Rebecca said...

That is scary! Both my kids have done that to me. Yea have I learned? But there seems to always be a way to get in!

Jamie Boyd said...

Jackson does this to me. He can only turn the deadbolt one way, so he can lock it but not unlock it. I have to take the apartment key with me when I take garbage out just in case. I was panicked the first time it happened too.

Cami and Juan said...

Horror story! I almost locked Amelia in the car the other day. The door shut, and then thankfully I had cracked the windows. I hate the close calls, when something terrible could happen. I'm glad yours was a quick fix too.