Sunday, May 8, 2011

having a mom; being a mom.

I have a mom.


We are a lot alike, my mom and I.
We both love dark chocolate.
We both prefer a shirt or shoes or a treat over a dozen dead flowers.
We both sing loudly in the car . . . and the kitchen.
We can sit and watch Extreme Couponing and agree its insane.

My mom is one of my best friends.
Not once have I said goodbye to her without tears.

She has taught be so much.
From her I learned to live a Christ-like life, while still blasting Heart on the radio. 

If you want to know how I got so cool, it's because of my mom.

~
~

I am a mom.


Its still weird when I say that.
But its a role I treasure.
You know how my mom is one of my best friends?
Carly is one too.

We like to hang out.
And we have a lot in common too.
She is a third-generation chocolate lover.
We both love to sleep in.
We are both chaotic.
We both have Chris wrapped around our fingers.

I marvel at her.
She is alive and energetic, but she is so tender and full of love.
I stubbed my toe a few days ago.
I was hopping around, saying "ow ow ow ow!"
Carly looked at me with concern: "You ok, mama?"

I don't know exactly how she got so perfect.
My only prayer is that I won't mess her up.
That she will always be so good.
That I can teach her an appreciation for Taylor Swift and dark turtles.
That I can teach her to love the Gospel, and set her sites on the temple.

And that she'll always want to be my best friend.

xoxo.

3 comments:

Karen Thomas said...

why does the wind blow your hair perfectly back and mine like i am in sane? oh, because i am. hee hee. xoxo. the pic of you and carly is perfection. xoxox ("what about love!")

Cami and Juan said...

Both pictures are absolutely gorgeous. It's so refreshing to see you and your mom and just any mom really that so obviously enjoy being a mom. That sentence was so jumbled. Thank you for showing how much you love being a mom. There.

Taryn said...

Such a cute picture of you and Carly. Being a mom is so great, but I think the pressure of not messing up will always be there! Good luck to us all :)