Thursday, May 19, 2011

i made carly a twins shirt.

I make a habit of not swearing.
And I'm quite good at it.
In fact, I don't swear at all.
But there is one thing that makes me really want to swear.
Her name is sewing machine, and we are total frenemies.

But I started feeling the urge again.
I told Chris I was going to bust out my sewing machine, and he got his scared face on.

We are planning on (hopefully) going to watch the Twins when they come to play the Tigers in Detroit at the end of May. I wanted Carly to have a Twins shirt, but *surprise surprise* even toddler shirts are outrageously priced online. So I decided to [try] to make one myself.

It went something like this:

1) I printed out the Twins' "twin cities" symbol they have on their hats. I cut out the letters and pinned them to the fabric and cut them out in the appropriate colors.

And by "fabric" I mean old shirts from our take to Goodwill box.


2) Ironed the letters on a $2 white Walmart t-shirt using sewable iron-on paper. I really should have done the heavy-duty iron-on stuff and just left it be without sewing. But I thought the sewing would be cute. And it would have been, if I were a competent sew-er.
3) Sew around the edges of the letters:


That was when it got scary. But I managed to make some sort of crooked uneven stitch around the both letters. Go me.

4) Washed it. Done.

While a toddler Twins shirt online goes for about $25, I made mine for $2.

It looks really cute from a distance.
You're not allowed any closer than this.

And of course I had to have my little Cubs/Twins fan model mom's handiwork.
But she wouldn't let go of her best friend du jour, "puntoo".




Go Twins.

8 comments:

Taryn said...

I am very impressed! I think I have used my sewing machine 0.5 times since we found it at goodwill for $2. That fact makes me feel a little less bad about it. Carly looks darling in her shirt though!

The Fishers said...

Great job!!! I'm impressed!

WeBeR FaM said...

I'm way impressed! I don't even own a sewing machine! haha my sewing skills are pretty sad!

Stacey said...

I literally said, "Shut up!", out loud when I saw your handiwork. I love LOVE love it. Adorable!

Laura said...

You did a great job!!

Ha I love making stuff and i would love to sew but I hate my sewing machine. I get really angry at it. Its all the threading and the bobbins and what nots. I worked on a project once while kase's brother Ryan was over and then he told me that I was scary when I sewed. ha ha. I packed up our machine and have not brought it out since.

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sam and kyrsten said...

great job. i just whipped out my sewing machine yesterday for the first time in who knows how long... eek we will see how it goes! the shirt is darling! so is carly!!!

sorry that deleted comment was me left on my husbands account...

Bendixsen Family said...

LOVE it!! So crafty E. :) craft night with you. done.