Monday, September 26, 2011

one fine day.

Fall is in full swing here in the mitten.
We have sunny, crisp days and downright chilly nights.
It sure is nice to crack open the windows and enjoy the fresh breeze.

Michigan does fall very well, and as such, I have made it a goal to get a lot of Fall-ing in every year.
So on Saturday, we were off to pick apples.

We had a fabulous time.

Highlights included

-the choo choo: Carly loved the ride and afterwards kept asking "Where my choo choo go?"
-hotdogs: It may not seem like a highlight, but when Deux saw one of those he/she had to have one. It was pretty much the best hotdog ever.
-apple cider slushy: Carly and Deux were both huge fans, and I'm not usually a cider person.
-Oh, and picking apples, of course. Though Chris and I did the picking and Carly did the eating.

(I didn't bring my big camera because I didn't want to carry it around, and I totally regretted it. It was beautiful!)

[Carly and daddy on the choo choo.]

[showing off our apples/eating our apples.]

[Carly fell and instead of getting up decided to go ahead and eat her apple.]

[beautiful day.]

[Carly and Deux fighting over the cider slushie.]

[our apple eater.]

We now have way more apples than we know what to do with.
Luckily I've been on an apple kick, and Carly and Daddy have an "apple peanut budder" tradition every night.
I also see caramel apples in our near future (Conference is this weekend, after all), and I might even attempt apple pie filling (with store-bough crust . . . I don't mess with wheat).

That afternoon we came home and all three (or four?) of us napped.
Then we went out to Steak n Shake for dinner.
Yes, for reals.
We were living the high life.
And did you know if you spend $8 on a Saturday or Sunday you get a kids meal free?
Talk about a cheap dinner.
Which is good, because the Country Mill hotdogs were less-than-cheap.

The best part of the day?
Spending the whole day together.
No homework.
No meetings.
No chores (even though there should have been).
There wasn't even any puking.

It was one fine day.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Yea so happy for you on the no puking part!:)
What a great day. Let me know if you find any good apple recipes. I think we all have a bunch lying around.