Friday, September 9, 2011

the bitter and the sweet.

Oh, peeps. I've been holding so much in. It sure is hard to blog when you have one single thing occupying your mind and that one single thing is also a secret. Its also hard to blog when all you want to do is puke and sleep. But it sounds like my lack of blogging hinted at my big "secret" anyway. Looks like I blog too much.

I had a plan. As a second pregnancy, this one was going to be easier. My body had done this before, so it can't be as shocked as when I had Carly (which, for those of you who recall, was no walk in the park). And then I got called to seminary and, forgive my faith, but I thought if seminary and baby were meant to coincide, then I would be blessed with an easier pregnancy. But, as we all know, things don't go according to plan. We found out about Deux in mid July. One week later the nausea kicked in, and one week after that I was down for the count. I've never felt like this. One day I had a dear friend take Carly for like 6 hours and when Chris came home he found a shaky, dehydrated mess. I went on Zofran, and the side effects were so bad. I was shaky and dizzy and needed to puke but physically could not. I would just take the pill and go to bed for hours. Thank heaven this came at a time when Chris was able to help and his parents were coming to town. After a few days and lots of pain, I knew Zofran was not going to be the best friend I was hoping for. I talked to the doctor and he gave me another anti-nausea med. After a few days on this, I was able to function, eat, get up. It wasn't the miracle solution I was looking for, but it made it so I could exist. So there you go. I've been anti-social. I wear make-up about once a week and can't remember the last time I used my straightener. My parents came and I was good-to-go only about half the time, which was really hard for me, but good for Carly because she got lots of playing time. I've kept it classy, puking at Sam's Club (where I'm pretty sure I scared a teenage girl into practicing abstinence), and behind our parking garage while Carly ran up and down the hill. Oh, and the spit. Like last time, I make a ton of spit and have to spit it in a cup or on the ground. Its nasty, and I would give anything for the spit to stop. Anything. Unfortunately, my daughter is a little sponge these days and has started making spitting noises and saying "I'm spitting!".

Like I said, classy.

I know I don't have the worst pregnancies ever. And like I said with Carly, I'm grateful I get to have pregnancies at all. But it sure would have been nice for it to be a little easier this time. Or at least not harder. Just for the record.

My hero in all of this has been my husband. Let me tell you, I won the lottery with this one. He has had to work double time, dealing with school and all that stress and busyness, taking care of me, being pretty much mom and dad to Carly. He comes home when he can't afford to. He runs around with Carly when he has no energy. He cooks and cleans after a full day of teaching and studying and working and meeting. He has done so much and we would literally be nowhere without him. I love him. I can't say that enough.

And the big sis? This is the hardest part for me. I literally have tears in my eyes just thinking about what I want to write and share and remember. I hate hate hate not being able to take care of Carly like she should be taken care of. I hate that she watches so much tv. I hate that I can't take her outside very long. I hate that I can't teach her or play with her the way I want. I worry about her and pray for her so hard that she isn't hurting or wondering whats wrong with me or whats wrong with her. It breaks my heart. And when it comes to being sick, I can handle it (for the most part) on my behalf. I just need it to end for her. There is a good chance she is oblivious to the situation and just thinks mommy is lazy. That's fine. As long as she is ok.

In case you're wondering about Seminary, I went to our Bishop and told him the situation. He found a sub for my first two weeks so I don't start until October. I still don't know how I'm going to do it, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Fingers crossed for . . . . something. Something to work out.


Chris gave me a blessing near the beginning of this little adventure and in it the Lord reminded me you cannot taste the sweet without first partaking of the bitter. Those words echo through my mind on a regular basis. And right now I think I'm so consumed with surviving the bitter, I don't stop enough to think about this sweet thing joining our family.

So as for the fun stuff?

Right now my due date is March 25th. This will put our kids (eek! . . . kids) two years and seven months apart. It will also mean the bulk of my pregnancy will take place over the winter, which I'm already happy about after having Carly in August (even though I'm going to need a lot of new maternity clothes. nice.). This also happens to be my oldest brother's birthday, as well as the weekend The Hunger Games movie comes out. So really, I'm ok if this baby is a few days late so I can see it before I'm down for the count (is that the second time I've used "down for the count" in this post?).

We will find out if Deux is a he or a she, and that will probably take place the first week or two of November. We both want another girl, though Chris is dead-set on it and I'm more open to the possibility of a boy. Chris will hardly even discuss boy names! Needless to say, he loves his daddy's girl. But of course we'd still love a boy. Or at least try really hard to :).

As for names, like last time we probably won't share until the baby comes (unless you're a lucky immediate family member! woohoo!). I'd say we're already down to 2 girls names, because they are both names we loved for Carly and that hasn't changed in two years. A boy will probably remain nameless for days, as our boy name tastes are drastically different. He likes pretty traditional boy names, and while I don't like crazy names, I like something a little more modern. I love the last name as a first name thing. I tried to get him to like "Mauer" (rhymes with 'power') which is the last name of a super awesome baseball player. But he wouldn't go for it. Which is why I'm sharing it. ha!

Ok, there's my novel. We are excited and feel blessed, while still praying for a little relief. That's ok, right?

Yay for babies.
xoxo.

15 comments:

Jarom said...

I hope things get easier really fast. I felt the same way about having another girl, wanted it real bad. But then our boy came and he is so sweet. Boy names are a lot harder to come up with though. Anyway, congrats again!

Becky said...

Oh, Erin, I hope you feel better soon! I know you will, but I can't imagine having to go along as you have been! I wish I lived closer so I could watch Carly for you. Then I could also watch Deux when you need me to! PARTY! Haha! Love you.

Taryn said...

Oh, Erin I am so sorry you have been so horribly sick! I really can't understand how that must be, but I can imagine it being even harder this time around having Carly. It is hard to feel like you aren't doing what you should for your kids, but I am sure she knows you love her and I doubt she will have any long lasting effects :) I was wondering how the seminary issue was going. While I know it might not be a perfect situation I am sure with your faith you will find the strength to do it and recieve lots of blessings in return! Hang in there!

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

Oh I remember the guilt so well! I remember when I was first pregnant with Alyssa poor Cam was baby-gated into one tiny room watching Sesame Street all day long and eating crackers off the floor...I felt SO guilty. It just didn't seem fair to him. And then when Alyssa was old enough to be crawling around and giggling and playing with Cameron I remembered how bad I had felt and realized how silly it was for me to feel so guilty because she was so worth it, not just for me, but for Cameron. You're whole little family may have to sacrifice now, but once Carly has her little sibling that she'll love so much those few months that her life got a little boring will seem like the tiniest thing. Don't feel guilty!

Cami and Juan said...

This post made me want to be the best mom I can be! Here I am only dealing with being tired while pregnant and I don't feel like I'm teaching enough, or playing enough with Amelia. You have inspired me to be better! And you will be blessed for this, Carly will become a genius from the tv and still get all the needed real person interaction in just a couple months.

The Fishers said...

First of all, congrats! And second of all, I ditto everything everyone said and want to add to it - you're a big sister too and your mom probably felt the same mommy guilt and had to take time away from you to rest. However, you turned out perfectly and the 9 months of TV/lack of mommy didn't ruin your relationship with her or cause you severe mental/emotional trauma! It's easier to say this than realize this (trust me, I know!), but it's the truth. The Lord knows what He's doing and will only bless you for following his plan!

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry you have been sick. Being sick with #2 is so much harder than it is with your first. But, this too shall pass. Before you know, you will see your kids playing together and everything will be worth it. Everything will be right in the world. Everyone has told you already, but things will be okay. Things will work out. And Carly will be fine. The happiness two kids brings is insane. Keep your eye on the prize!

Jessica said...

Congrats! Sorry pregnancy is not your thing. I find very little joy in the pregnancy journey but its worth it. I hope everything works out.

Erin said...

Yay! We are so excited for you. I am so sorry that you are so sick. I have a friend that has just finished going through the exact same thing (super sick with a 2 year old). It was tough, but she is so glad the baby is here and he is an angel. Maybe it will work out that way with you too! I have some friends that are way into baseball and they have boys named Gherig and Denton. They also have a little girl named Mykell that goes by Mickie! I thought it was cute. Especially if you love baseball. Take care!

Casey and Kristi said...

I was so happy to read your posts!!! Ok, not that you are so so sick, which I feel really bad about, but that baby #2 is on his/her way!!!! You have such a beautiful, funny girl... I can't wait to read about all the adventures of the next one!! I hope you get feeling better (I'm feeling your pain, wink wink, and know how hard it is with little ones).

Laura said...

I'm so excited for you guys. Sorry you feel sick. Carly will probably not remember though. My mom was really sick with my little brother when I was five (gestational diabetes as well) and I don't remember anything bad at all. It will all work out. Miss you guys.

Andrew | Susan | Grayer said...

Congratulations on baby #2!!! Very excited for you! Sorry that you have felt so yucky:( I was the same way with Grayer. I threw up everywhere too... at work, in an airport, in the car multiple times (luckily I kept a bowl in the car for such occasions!) I hope that you get feeling better really soon! It stinks to feel so helpless. Congrats again!!

Michael said...

You are on our minds--hoping you can bear it. So pumped for a niece or nephew! It would be cool to share a b-day! But the appointed date never seems to come true. =) Take care of yourself out there.

Lauren Davison said...

Well, congrats--and hang in there! ;) Love ya.

Welch Mom said...

I think that every mom who has their 2nd, 3rd, etc. child can say they feel like they neglected their other child(ren) when they were pregnant. I am pretty sure I feel asleep a few times while the older one was watching t.v. He seems to be alright for it. Here is hoping you feel better real soon and get to the fun part, right ?